How much do I feed my Tort?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
When these hays are pelleted they are ground up to small pieces. Your small sulcata should be able to eat any of these pellets when they have been re-hydrated. Personally, I would go with orchard hay pellets or bermuda hay pellets for such a young tortoise. Alfalfa and timothy are too stalky, in my opinion, for babies.
Here is a link to a thread on Salad Dressing by @Markw84 that shows a great mix of greens, hay , and pelleted food for his young, and not so young, tortoises. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/totoise-salad-dressing.149685/#post-1427858
I actually got tired of cutting so much grass hay with scissors, and now use orchard grass hay CUBES. I like them better than the pellets as the fibers are much longer, but still eaten by my smaller tortoises once soaked. A 50 lb bag is about $15 and I throw the cubes out for my large sulcatas too and sprinkle them down with the hose. The cubes a extremely compressed and its amazing how much chopped hay you get with them. I put a few cubes in a tray of water and in about 10 minutes they swell up about 3 times their size and rehydrate & soften nicely.

DamJoe08

Fullerton, Ca
I actually got tired of cutting so much grass hay with scissors, and now use orchard grass hay CUBES. I like them better than the pellets as the fibers are much longer, but still eaten by my smaller tortoises once soaked. A 50 lb bag is about $15 and I throw the cubes out for my large sulcatas too and sprinkle them down with the hose. The cubes a extremely compressed and its amazing how much chopped hay you get with them. I put a few cubes in a tray of water and in about 10 minutes they swell up about 3 times their size and rehydrate & soften nicely.

Very helpful. Where do you get the hay?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Most feed stores will help you get what you want. Or, you can find them on line. Like @Markw84 , I like cubed hay better than pellets because of the longer fiber. I used the pelleted hay when my sulcata was still small. As he got bigger I switched to the cubes.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yes, I do get the cubes from my local feed store. The same place I buy my Mazuri and baled hay in summer.

I have a 2 month old Sulcata. Would the cubes or pellets be better?

For very young sulcatas, I prefer to just cut new grass with scissors. The tender fresh grass seems best to start them on. Once they are eating well, I use the cubes - but I use a lot with all the tortoises I have so its easy to have on hand, especially for winter months. When you soak a cube, there is plenty of really small grass fibers for really small tortoises to easily eat. I often mix it with Soaked Mazuri.

I like Orchard grass cubes the best. Sometimes I cannot get the orchard grass, and I then get a blend that is ochard grass/alfalfa. I personally just don't go with straight alfalfa cubes as it is pretty high in protein. Not a huge problem, but I try to blend the diets towards high fiber, lower protein with the cubes.