How much does it cost to raise a healthy sulcata?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
I was pondering this question earlier today. Set aside the price you paid for your tort. How much would you say it takes on average to raise a sulcata (properly) from baby to say 5 years old? I'd be curious as to what kind of figures folks would post! My reason for asking is that I was confronted by a couple of folks who are interested in purchasing a sulcata. I believe they are wanting a tort for all the wrong reasons, so I'd like to throw out some hard $$ figures at them to "dissuade" them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The enclosures. Lights, heat and night houses all need to be factored in. So do yard fortifications once it is an adult, etc.
And heaven forbid it's unhealthy....
Then there are the 100 years of feedings and care.
I don't know if there is any simple answer.
But I wouldn't hesitate to say many thousands.
They are a horrible impulse purchase. And they get huge and grouchy.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
The enclosures. Lights, heat and night houses all need to be factored in. So do yard fortifications once it is an adult, etc.
I'm already in for thousands in the nearly 3 years I've had mine, but we are all fanatics here, are we not? lol

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
At least 5k. And that could be low balling... the initial setup (for a good one) enclosure, lighting, heating...$1k
later, nightbox with kanemat, radiant heat, and fence, 1.5k
Then, you’ve got soaking accessories, food, seed, etc for all that time... I wouldn’t feel bad about that number...
And that’s all for a healthy tort.... God forbid you start adding in vet bills...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Too many variables. Hard to say. I grow all my own food, so I spend very little on that. I bought enclosure, but use them for lots of babies. I'd say the initial investment would be around $1000 done right, and the annual maintenance and electricity will vary from person to person tremendously. A fully done night box will be around $800-1000

sweetmamashakeup

Colorado
I was pondering this question earlier today. Set aside the price you paid for your tort. How much would you say it takes on average to raise a sulcata (properly) from baby to say 5 years old? I'd be curious as to what kind of figures folks would post! My reason for asking is that I was confronted by a couple of folks who are interested in purchasing a sulcata. I believe they are wanting a tort for all the wrong reasons, so I'd like to throw out some hard $$ figures at them to "dissuade" them.
20 years in Seattle with 10ftx12ft table terrarium, appropriate heat/light/terrain, treatment for one complex respiratory infection~$35K

Sa Ga

MN
They are a horrible impulse purchase. And they get huge and grouchy.
I ❤❤❤❤ "huge and grouchy"! Are you the one that said yours bite? Lol

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
$1,000,000,000.00 at least!!!
I have a 109lb 21 year old pain in the butt!
I adore everything about her but if I think back to ALL of the MANY mistakes I made in the beginning I am sure that number would go way up. I have FINALLY AFTER 21 years built a perfect enclosure!!!!
Sulcata are trial and error.
The housing is never perfect and you have to keep adjusting as they get older not to mention they can break through DRY WALL!!!!!
The medical bills are outrageous!!!
It cost me $289 just to walk her in the door ( for an exotic animal). Then the doctor takes one look and says ok she’s fine... total bill??? $498.52!!!!! (She got baytril and a vitamin “A” shot..) Which I had to deal with her anger for about a week!!
Now ask me about my back..!
No...no... ask anyone on this forum about their backs.!!!!
You can almost never go on vacation if you want a house to come back to..... please tell your friends to look at cats.
They like to sleep a lot. No need for “enclosures “. Just a nice piece of the bottom of their bed to sleep on..
Good luck!!??

Sa Ga

MN
$1,000,000,000.00 at least!!!
I have a 109lb 21 year old pain in the butt!
I adore everything about her but if I think back to ALL of the MANY mistakes I made in the beginning I am sure that number would go way up. I have FINALLY AFTER 21 years built a perfect enclosure!!!!
Sulcata are trial and error.
The housing is never perfect and you have to keep adjusting as they get older not to mention they can break through DRY WALL!!!!!
The medical bills are outrageous!!!
It cost me $289 just to walk her in the door ( for an exotic animal). Then the doctor takes one look and says ok she’s fine... total bill??? $498.52!!!!! (She got baytril and a vitamin “A” shot..) Which I had to deal with her anger for about a week!!
Now ask me about my back..!
No...no... ask anyone on this forum about their backs.!!!!
You can almost never go on vacation if you want a house to come back to..... please tell your friends to look at cats.
They like to sleep a lot. No need for “enclosures “. Just a nice piece of the bottom of their bed to sleep on..
Good luck!!??
LOLOLOL?

These sulcatas sound like a hoot 'n a half!

I would LOOOOVE to meet one!!!

$1,000,000,000? Lol. You must be quite wealthy! (Do you have a brother that's single? ?)

Yeah, we tort lovers work hard so our torts can have a GREAT life! Worth every penny and--figurative and literal--back ache!

Sa Ga

MN
Yes.
But mines a Redfoot.
I don't have a Sulcata sized yard.
Oh, that's right! Lol. I still chuckle to myself about that post! (Bkgd: I was asking forum members if anyone else's torts "nose kiss" and nuzzle because I thought it was so cute when Morla does it. Zero's response: Mine bite. Be careful.)

Zero, you're awesome!?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
LOLOLOL?

These sulcatas sound like a hoot 'n a half!

I would LOOOOVE to meet one!!!

$1,000,000,000? Lol. You must be quite wealthy! (Do you have a brother that's single? ?)

Yeah, we tort lovers work hard so our torts can have a GREAT life! Worth every penny and--figurative and literal--back ache!
Nope not wealthy.... just in debt... but I would not trade her for the world (now that I have her .... and spent all that money!) she is mine for keeps until I keel over and she eats me for food!! ???

Sa Ga

MN
Nope not wealthy.... just in debt... but I would not trade her for the world (now that I have her .... and spent all that money!) she is mine for keeps until I keel over and she eats me for food!! ???
Lol. I know EXACTLY how you feel!! What was supposed to be a "free" adoption has cost SO MUCH in vet bills....but I 150% don't regret a penny! I don't think I've ever loved a critter as much as Morla.

At least I can rest assured she won't eat me when I die though..... little bugger won't eat at all if I don't hand feed her! Lol

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
? lol .. mine was a purchase out of a hidden “wet pet” store up by Albany NY.
she was a Little Rock !! Like a pebble about 4 months old. I was told “he” would grow to be about 18” long and “he”could eat wan tons and pizza eventually. AND “he”was a Herman’s tort... well after about two months of reading books about them I noticed he didn’t look like any of the pictures!!! Turns out he was a sulcata!! Third largest in the world!!!!!!!! We went back to talk to the guy and wouldn’t ya know it .... he was “out of business”!!!!! Months went by and I came to find out not only was “he” a sulcata.. but “he” was a “SHE”!!! Oy vay.... that’s why I am here to warn people. Things are always “cute” as babies .... but then they grow up! You can NOT just let them free once they are big!! You have to figure out a new plan for your lives together. FOREVER!!

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Like Tom said way too many variables. If you live in an area with decent weather for them as are the diy type it’s really not too bad. I don’t even want to think about doing it up north though.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Definitely more expensive in areas where one doesn’t have optimal weather year round. From mid-October to early May our Sully spends inside. In order to keep this 80 lb rock happy heated & all warmed up, I have a kane heat mat, an overhead RHP and the expensive electric heater running. Throw in having some overhead basking lights on 12-14 hours per day.......and the electric bill goes up & up.

In Winter, Since it’s frosty frozen & cold - no growing tortoise food - so that requires purchasing food. Hay, dandelion, cactus pads, cactus fruit, & bags of Mazuri.

Summertime is easier.....no electric heater, no basking lights since the sun is still free. Food cheaper too, lots & lots of dandelions, grape leaves, mulberry, hibiscus, corn husks, & grass.

Sooooooo, a lot depends! But regardless, it’s not cheap & more expensive the further north you go.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
So far I'm seeing estimates of several thousand to 1 billion. @Chefdenoel10 - does Governor Murphy put a huge tax on exotics? lol

Anyway, if it helps, the the two folks I'm trying to talk out of getting one live in Irving, TX and Sharonville OH. Sharonville is the same climate as where I live, but I imaging that Irving has its cold spells as well. My electricity alone just to run the tortoise equipment averages an additional $60-$80 per month (less in Summer, more in Winter). My vet charges a flat $150 just to walk in the door. Winter food has been running me roughly $25 per week. I've spent $2100 so far on his outdoor enclosure, and plan to sink several more thousand over the next couple of years. I'm guessing I will be in close to $10K by the time Ghost hits 5 years old.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Definitely more expensive in areas where one doesn’t have optimal weather year round. From mid-October to early May our Sully spends inside. In order to keep this 80 lb rock happy heated & all warmed up, I have a kane heat mat, an overhead RHP and the expensive electric heater running. Throw in having some overhead basking lights on 12-14 hours per day.......and the electric bill goes up & up.

In Winter, Since it’s frosty frozen & cold - no growing tortoise food - so that requires purchasing food. Hay, dandelion, cactus pads, cactus fruit, & bags of Mazuri.

Summertime is easier.....no electric heater, no basking lights since the sun is still free. Food cheaper too, lots & lots of dandelions, grape leaves, mulberry, hibiscus, corn husks, & grass.

Sooooooo, a lot depends! But regardless, it’s not cheap & more expensive the further north you go.

PS - luckily - no vet bills for me n our Sully. He’s a @Lancecham ”baby” and has had zero issues.