How much does your 4 month old Leo weigh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
So I was wondering if I could get some weight comparison's on my baby Leo, Chewy. I have been traveling on vacay with the kids and we had a house/tort sitter while we were gone. The last time Chewy was weighed she weighed in at 67 Grams. But when I returned home after being away I could definately see that she had grown. I put her on the scale and she weigh's 100 grams!!! She is around 4 months old now.

Do you have a tort from spikethebest's clutch that Tom hatched? Do you have a 4 month old Leo? If so, please post pics and weights here. Here is a pic of Chewy from today. Thanks.;)

dvgfgp.jpg

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Chewy is lovely!
I have a couple of leopards from Tom. Not the same clutch, these were hatched late August 2010. I looked back to their December weights, when they were about 4 months old: Maggie 105g, Molly 116g. I would say Chewy's weight is in the same ballpark. They grow fast, don't they?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Thanks for looking back. That is great news! I really cannot believe how fast they grow!

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Man Chewy looks really good! Look at all that new growth :) I wish I had all my weights to give you for Tico but my hard drive crashed and I lost all my excel sheets and all.

I want to say that was right around where Tico was, I've noticed on avearage he gains around 20-30 grams a month.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Man he is growing fast what are you feeding him? Mazrui with miracle grow in it LOL :p he looks great :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have a 7 month old that just hit a growth spurt and is at 80 grams right now. I also have a 1.5 month old unrelated hatchling that is almost 50. There are so many variables that play into how fast a tortoise grows, it's difficult to get any kind of ball park figure...even with related hatchlings. As long as the tortoise is growing and you are convinced he is healthy than there shouldn't be much to worry about.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I have Russians, not Leopards. However, here's an equation that I have found helpful, and I hope you do, too. I found it in Mike Pingleton's (2001) book on redfoot tortoises.

Veterinarian Susan Donoghue developed an equation for calculating the minimum healthy weight for a tortoise:

CL^3 * 0.191 = Minimum weight (g)

Where CL is straight carapace length in cm, and the minimum weight is in grams. As I wrote here, this equation serves as a guide for the minimum weight most tortoise species should have for a given size. However, it does not work for all species, nor does it tell you what the maximum healthy weight is, either.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Thank's everyone. I really had no idea that hatchling sizes could vary so much!

I will also be using that formula, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.