How much food do you go through

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tom, where do you find organic grass hay?
Also, I was wondering how you keeep the outside enclosure clean? My Charlie is constantley peeing and pooping in her enclosure. I can not remember the last time she pooped outside!! I am so worried it is ruining the night box. She pees and it goes all up underneath the heat mat. and the only way I can clean under it is if I unscrew it from the bottom. That would be a pain.
What is the average amount of food that a 2 1/2 year old sulcata will eat? I want to make sure she is getting enough.
I just buy bales of grass hay from the local feed store. Its meant for feeding horses and other livestock. No need for "organic". Its organic enough.

I use a layer of dry dirt in the night boxes and scrape it up with a flat nosed shovel as needed. If some dirt, or muck, or poop gets on your Kane mat, it won't hurt anything. I don't bury the mat. I just put a thin layer of dirt all around the floor of the box. not enough to get on top of the mat or cover it.

There is no "average" amount of food that a tortoise eats. They all go through spurts where they eat a lot, and other spurts where they eat less. If you are feeding grass hay, just put down a whole flake and the tortoise can eat it whenever it wants. For other foods, just put out as much as you want. If there is a lot leftover, you fed too much. The amount consumed will vary tremendously from tortoise to tortoise and also seasonally.

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
TX
I just buy bales of grass hay from the local feed store. Its meant for feeding horses and other livestock. No need for "organic". Its organic enough.

I use a layer of dry dirt in the night boxes and scrape it up with a flat nosed shovel as needed. If some dirt, or muck, or poop gets on your Kane mat, it won't hurt anything. I don't bury the mat. I just put a thin layer of dirt all around the floor of the box. not enough to get on top of the mat or cover it.

There is no "average" amount of food that a tortoise eats. They all go through spurts where they eat a lot, and other spurts where they eat less. If you are feeding grass hay, just put down a whole flake and the tortoise can eat it whenever it wants. For other foods, just put out as much as you want. If there is a lot leftover, you fed too much. The amount consumed will vary tremendously from tortoise to tortoise and also seasonally.

Thank you very much Tom!! I will try the dirt.

Hai

Tucson az

Were did you get your mats at?