How much food is enough for my Russian?

Tsarina27

I recently acquired my male Russian, Tortomir, and I just wanted to know how much food is enough for him? He is about 3 yrs old, and super active. We brought him home today, and he's been eating since before we even picked him up. I don't really know too much about the proper amount to feed him because our last tortoise ate very little. Any help is appreciated. I heard that giving them about a handful a day of spring mix is a good amount. Is that about right?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
He may be a bit starved after his recent experiences. Feed him a tiny bit more than he'll finish. Or else, if he finishes his morning feed, offer him an afternoon meal, too.

You want him just hungry enough to be active, but not frantic. Not underfed and lethargic.

It's often more convenient to offer one big meal, but they are grazing animals and are happy with several smaller meals.

Tsarina27

Okay, thank you. I was worried about over feeding him. Especially after I saw how much he ate yesterday. Would it be good If I divided up a big handful of spring mix and put it in different areas of his aquarium?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I feed mine some distance from the basking spot so they have to travel. You can try putting food in several spots & see how it goes.

You know you're going to replace that aquarium with something bigger.

Tsarina27

Yeah, I got a tote that has more space for him to crawl around. For now it'll work because he's still quite small, but yeah, I'm going to have to give him more space to work with. My boyfriend got our other tortoise for me for Christmas and the pet store sold her with an aquarium, so that's what we had to work with.