How Much Food is Too Much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I guess I have never given this too much thought and since reading some posts between Kelly and Terry I have started to wonder if I am overfeeding my torts. Is there a guide on how much they should be getting? I have always just kind of went with my gut. But now I am not so sure. Thanks!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Usually its what they will eat in 20 minutes, throw out the rest Dee. ;)

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I know it's hard! I have four RT's in one enclosure. When I put the food in, some are sometimes still sleeping. I can wake them up and put them by the food, but they like to bask while they wake up, so won't eat immediately. So if I do the 20 minute thing, someone like Varda will eat the whole 20 minutes, while Roland will be basking and just start eating the last two minutes or something. So I tend to keep food in there longer, or just feed them an amount that I think is okay... although then still someone might eat most of it before the next one realizes the food is out!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Well, I guess I am doing pretty well then. Most everyone comes running when I go in the room and they are ready to eat. My newest Russian is still a bit shy about eating but is getting better. I leave his food in. My hatchlings I keep putting in front of the food until I see them eating. It does not seem like they eat alot but they are gaining weight so I guess they are getting enough. I guess its just those baby bellies.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jlyoncc1 said:
I guess I have never given this too much thought and since reading some posts between Kelly and Terry I have started to wonder if I am overfeeding my torts. Is there a guide on how much they should be getting? I have always just kind of went with my gut. But now I am not so sure. Thanks!

You will know when they are eating too much when you see them starting to develp "thunder thighs". I have been fussed at by the vet about a couple of the Gophers & some of my Boxes getting so fat they wouldn't fit their legs into the shell!
I have a question? Is it ok to feed corn on the cob to Russians, RF, & Sulcatas? They all love it but I don't know if it is healthy for them. I give a half ear as a treat about once a month when it is in season.
Patsy

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi Patsy, I didn't see anyone respond to the corn thing and I am not sure either, but I will say I give them corn on the cobs in during the summer and they come running. Jack my RF eats every kernnel. I don't ever have it here except summer so it's just seasonal for the torts.
Na

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Giving sweet corn as treat shouldn't be bad the way you describe Patsy. Giving it as staple, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.