how much garden time for 1yr old hermanns

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Bristol Uk
Good afternnon you lovely lot
Here in the Uk we're havin some lovely weather, up to 33c,
my question is how long can my 13month old tort who weighs 132g and is 9x8cms stay in the garden for? he/she has plenty of places to hide in the shade, plenty of food and water.
Also is it rght that whilst he/she is getting natural uv in the garden i can turn off the uv light in the vivarium? if so how long can it stay off for?

LeahK

Berkeley CA
Other people on here say the general rule is 1 hour is sun per day per inch of tortoise. Once the tortoise hits 4 inches or so, you can leave them out all day. I think 9 cm is 3.5 inches?

And when they’re getting outside for natural light at least 2-3 times per week, you do not need the indoor UVB.

Just make sure the garden is tortoise proofed - no escape routes, pesticides, etc

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
This is what i believed also, he/she is in a secure pen and absolutely loves it out there, in fact he /she is'nt at all happy when i bring him in, so i try to leave him out there as long as i can.
So then it's correct i can turn off the uv light in the vivarium? i did this this morning but got worried and turned it back on lol