How much mazuri should I feed?

erdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
Hey guys! I have decided to try the mazuri diet. My sulcata is about 2 and a half years old and only 2.5 pounds. I know they all grow at different rates, but this seems VERY slow to me. I think I have a good diet, he grazes outside on sulcata seed mix everyday all day as long as it's not cold or too rainy. When he comes inside at night he also gets spring miX which he may or may not eat. His growth is smooth.

Anyways, I'm going to purchase mazuri and I've been looking at where to buy it but I'm not sure how much to get. I see most feed it 2-3x/week, is that correct? I'm not sure how much he will eat each time though or how long the stuff lasts? I would like to order as much as I can at once. Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to how big of a bag I should get for a 2.5 lb sulcata?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I had a ten lb rescue that I gave ten to fifteen pc every other day and a one lb bag lasted me a week. I have an 8 mnth old sully that gets three pc every other day and she is 325 g. The one lb bag has lasted me a month. Ide say you would make a one lb bag last two/ three weeks. I get mine on amazon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just buy the smallest bag you can get. One pound. I have 47 tortoises and a 25 pound bag lasts me anywhere from four months to eight months depending on the rain and weeds. For a tortoise that size you only need a few pellets each time. One pound should last you for months. Store it somewhere dry and cool.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The LS looks good on paper, but it doesn't absorb water well or mash up with other stuff. I prefer the old tried and true version. Its been working great for decades and I see no reason to switch. Try a pound of each and see what you like.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As much as twice a week, but when the weeds are going good, like now, I don't feed it at all. From about June until December or January, They get Mazuri twice a week. Once the rains come in the winter, no need for any other foods for mine.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
As much as twice a week, but when the weeds are going good, like now, I don't feed it at all. From about June until December or January, They get Mazuri twice a week. Once the rains come in the winter, no need for any other foods for mine.
Tom, when you feed Mazuri, do you measure it out? Mazuri's guideline, at least the last time I looked, says feed 2-4% of the tortoise's weight. I assume that would be a complete daily feeding for a single tortoise. My tortoise likes Mazuri, but I can't see him eating a pound of it in one day.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Thanks! I'm going to get the 1lb. What is the difference between the LS mazuri and the regular? Which one should I get?
I have used both the regular and the LS. There are things I like about the LS, such as, having actual grass for fibre and having probiotics. Like Tom said, it looks better on paper than the regular Mazuri. The regular is easier to mix with other foods, like grass and hay, and that is important to me. Hard to make Dean's meatball recipe with the LS.

erdavis

5 Year Member
I ended up getting 2 pounds of the regular because it was actually cheaper than 1 pound. It came in the mail today and I gave him 10 pieces and he LOVED it! I didn't think he would be too hungry because he already got full on some dandelions. But he ate every bit. I don't know why I've never tried it before. Next on the "New Foods to Try" list is hay so that by next winter maybe he'll be able to eat it regularly when the yard turns brown :)
Thanks for all the help!

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I have used both the regular and the LS. There are things I like about the LS, such as, having actual grass for fibre and having probiotics. Like Tom said, it looks better on paper than the regular Mazuri. The regular is easier to mix with other foods, like grass and hay, and that is important to me. Hard to make Dean's meatball recipe with the LS.
Dean's meatball recipe? What is that?

Penny a lovely sulcata!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, when you feed Mazuri, do you measure it out? Mazuri's guideline, at least the last time I looked, says feed 2-4% of the tortoise's weight. I assume that would be a complete daily feeding for a single tortoise. My tortoise likes Mazuri, but I can't see him eating a pound of it in one day.

I don't measure it. I just grab how much I think they will eat, soak it and plop it in front of them. Often I mix it with grass clippings or chopped hay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I ended up getting 2 pounds of the regular because it was actually cheaper than 1 pound. It came in the mail today and I gave him 10 pieces and he LOVED it! I didn't think he would be too hungry because he already got full on some dandelions. But he ate every bit. I don't know why I've never tried it before. Next on the "New Foods to Try" list is hay so that by next winter maybe he'll be able to eat it regularly when the yard turns brown :)
Thanks for all the help!

Use scissors and finely chop up your grass hay, then soak it in some water to rehydrate it for 30-60 minutes or so. Then mix it in with the greens or Mazuri. Start with a tiny tiny small amount of hay and gradually up the ratio over weeks or months. In time they will love the plain dry hay. Make sure they always have drinking water available in a suitable bowl.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Wow that's great. I'll try the meatball first

Seriously, this forum helps a lot !

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Wow i was about to look up sizes for torts at that age because mine are about that age plus 3 or 4 months and the biggest is 9 lb almost 10. And hes as big as my foot in length(im a size 10.5 US) in shoe. But my smallest is the same as yours which confuses me haha.

erdavis

5 Year Member
Yeah I'm not sure why mines so small compared to others. I've believe I've been doing everything advised on here. I guess because he wasn't started off right or maybe just genetics. I keep waiting for a growth spurt but not sure if it's gonna happen. Right now he's 2.9 pounds and I can't wait for him to hit the 3 lb mark :p oh well, I still love him either way :)
Do you think that you could be dealing with a bullying issue with that size difference of yours?