How Much Should A Full Greek Tortoise Weigh In Pounds?

MaNaAk

Location (City and/or State)
Southend
Hello Everyone!

I just want to check how much a Greek Tortoise should weigh in pounds as the internet says that they should weigh two or three pounds as an adult? Also how do you weigh them?

MaNaAk

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
There are something like 10 subspecies of Greek tortoise that have a huge range in sizes/weights. Tesduo graeca nabuelensis, can weigh as little as 200 g (about 0.5 lbs) for an adult, while giants like Testudo graeca ibera can weigh more than 3 kg (6-7 lbs). The point is that they are all Testudo graeca, or Greek tortoises, so there is no single answer.

For your Testudo graeca marokkensis, males are in the 500-700 g (1.3 lbs) range and females be 1500 g (3.3 lbs). However, there is a lot of variation. Here's a thread with a huge female marokkensis that weighed (3.5 kg/ 7.7lbs):

Reactions: Tom

MaNaAk

Southend
There are something like 10 subspecies of Greek tortoise that have a huge range in sizes/weights. Tesduo graeca nabuelensis, can weigh as little as 200 g (about 0.5 lbs) for an adult, while giants like Testudo graeca ibera can weigh more than 3 kg (6-7 lbs). The point is that they are all Testudo graeca, or Greek tortoises, so there is no single answer.

For your Testudo graeca marokkensis, males are in the 500-700 g (1.3 lbs) range and females be 1500 g (3.3 lbs). However, there is a lot of variation. Here's a thread with a huge female marokkensis that weighed (3.5 kg/ 7.7lbs):

J_____ and D____ are about the same size as the tortoise in the first thread and I am going to weigh D____ who is not hibernating tomorrow.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
Very nice looking tortoises! How long have you had them?
Dear @ Zovick,

You've got a pretty tortoise as well. They've been in the family for seventy-one years. D____ is seventy-nine and J____ is eighty-six.

MaNaAk

Reactions: Ink

zovick

10 Year Member!
Dear @ Zovick,

You've got a pretty tortoise as well. They've been in the family for seventy-one years. D____ is seventy-nine and J____ is eighty-six.

MaNaAk
Wow! They are both older than I am. I am 75 (will be 76 in February) and started keeping turtles and tortoises in the early 1950's at the age of 5.

Your family is to be commended for giving those tortoises such good care for all those years. Do the tortoises live outdoors in a garden all year round? Do you know if they were hatchlings when they were first acquired? I assume so if you know their ages, but figured I would ask.

MaNaAk

Southend
J and D were living outside until last May when I moved to this flat and at the moment J is hibernating inside whilst D is unable to hibernate because of an inflamed paw which is much better. Mum had J when she was 8 and looking at the photos she wasn't full grown so I'm putting her at dad's age of 86. D was quite small when mum had her a year later so I'm putting her at mum's age of 79.

MaNaAk

Reactions: Ink

MaNaAk

Southend
Also has anyone found the basking lamp and UV bar having much of an impact on their electricity bill?

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
J and D were living outside until last May when I moved to this flat and at the moment J is hibernating inside whilst D is unable to hibernate because of an inflamed paw which is much better. Mum had J when she was 8 and looking at the photos she wasn't full grown so I'm putting her at dad's age of 86. D was quite small when mum had her a year later so I'm putting her at mum's age of 79.

MaNaAk
Close up of Daisy before she had her medication.IMG20211208094808.jpg

MaNaAk

Southend
It was Loxicom for an inflamed joint and she's doing quite well.

MaNaAk