How much should a tortoise be fed?

Ember909

Location (City and/or State)
California
I'm planning to get a golden Greek tortoise soon, and I'm a bit confused about how much they eat. I've seen lots of great suggestions for what they can eat, but not how much. Will they regulate their own food intake, stopping when they're full? Should they be fed all at once, or can they be fed little bits throughout the day? Or somewhere in between? Any help would be much appreciated.

Happytort27

CA
They are grazing animals, so they should have access to food all day. Feed them generally as much to fill their shell. I usually put a big pile of food on the plate in the morning. If I see that their plate is empty at any point of the day, I make sure to add more food and feed them a bigger pile in the future. If there’s just a little food left over at the end of the day, then I know that I’ve fed enough. Yes, they will regulate their own food intake, stopping when they're full. Just note that your tortoise may not eat for a day or two when you first receive it because it still needs to get used to it’s new surroundings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm planning to get a golden Greek tortoise soon, and I'm a bit confused about how much they eat. I've seen lots of great suggestions for what they can eat, but not how much. Will they regulate their own food intake, stopping when they're full? Should they be fed all at once, or can they be fed little bits throughout the day? Or somewhere in between? Any help would be much appreciated.
They should be fed as much of the right foods as they want every day.

There is a lot of old, out-dated, incorrect info on tortoise care circulating around in the world. Here is the most current and correct care info for your species:

Ember909

California
They should be fed as much of the right foods as they want every day.

There is a lot of old, out-dated, incorrect info on tortoise care circulating around in the world. Here is the most current and correct care info for your species:
Thank you, that link was very helpful! As were the various comments posted in response.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
With my redfoots, I used a 'two bowls' system.

Bowl 1, offered every day or two (or less as they get bigger but are not breeding or pregnant), is about the size of the shell and is filled with the really good, basic stuff. For a redfoot, this was dark leafy greens, squash, bell peppers, carrot, cauliflower, broccoli, cactus pads, edible flowers, edible tree and plant leaves, and the like.

Bowl 2, offered 1-2 x weekly, is good stuff they don't need as much of. Again, for redfoots, it would be the sweeter fruits, or meats/bugs.

Ember909

California
With my redfoots, I used a 'two bowls' system.

Bowl 1, offered every day or two (or less as they get bigger but are not breeding or pregnant), is about the size of the shell and is filled with the really good, basic stuff. For a redfoot, this was dark leafy greens, squash, bell peppers, carrot, cauliflower, broccoli, cactus pads, edible flowers, edible tree and plant leaves, and the like.

Bowl 2, offered 1-2 x weekly, is good stuff they don't need as much of. Again, for redfoots, it would be the sweeter fruits, or meats/bugs.
That's a cool idea, thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I put enough food on the feeding tile so there is always a little bit left at the end of the day.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I TOTALLY FORGOT to mention that in my 2 bowl system that Bowl 1 is about the size of the tortoise's shell, and Bowl 2 is the size of their head.

Ember909

California
I TOTALLY FORGOT to mention that in my 2 bowl system that Bowl 1 is about the size of the tortoise's shell, and Bowl 2 is the size of their head.
Ohh, thanks, I was a bit confused about how little there was of the sweet stuff.