How much should I be feeding my 8 month old boxy?

Lisa Baker

Location (City and/or State)
CT
Hi from Groot's mom, i know it's been a few months...

So we rescued Groot days after she hatched and were able to over winter her well in her indoor enclosure we made. Woohoo for us being first time turtle parents!

Groot is now 8 months old and is thriving. She only ate earthworms up to about 3 weeks ago. Now she refuses to eat worms and only wants pill/sow bugs. She also has showed interest in strawberries, cantelope, boiled chicken and pure pumpkin puree. My question is this, how many pill/sow bugs should I be feeding her? She has never refused one.

I also built her an outdoor enclosure that I put her in during the day, but bring her inside every night. I hope you all enjoy the pics. This little quarter size turtle has taught me so much!

Attachments

• 20180604_120809.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20180604_120118.jpg
    20180604_120118.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
IMO, feed her a well balanced diet, but every other day might be enough if she is not eating every day. if she is eating every day, feed her every day as long as it is not all worms or all bugs. If she likes the mixed foods, that is good.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I would be feeding an 8 month old, especially one that small, every day. If she is eating veggies and fruits that is great! She's still young though and will favor the protein. Keep offeeing a variety of both protein and vegetation.

If she wants pill bugs, maybe save those for later in the day, offering her veggies and fruits to graze on in the morning.

Lisa Baker

CT
I would be feeding an 8 month old, especially one that small, every day. If she is eating veggies and fruits that is great! She's still young though and will favor the protein. Keep offeeing a variety of both protein and vegetation.

If she wants pill bugs, maybe save those for later in the day, offering her veggies and fruits to graze on in the morning.

How many pill bugs do you think is ok to let her have on a daily basis?