How much should I feed a redfoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nociti

5 Year Member
I have a redfoot that is about 1 year old. How much should he be eating? If I keep placing food down in front of him, he'll keep devouring until I stop. He's a complete glutton. Question is, how much food do I give him?

Nociti

5 Year Member
That doesn't really do much for me because he keeps eating healthy food. I give him quality food but he just keeps eating and eating if I put it down in front of him. He is obese (according to the turtle BMI calculation). I don't know when to stop feeding. How much is too much? How much is too little?

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So FL
I read somewhere that the amount of greens should equal the size of his body and on different days the amount of protein or fruit should equal the size if his head.

Nociti

5 Year Member
Thanks for the input guys, I'll try that and see if he begins to lose some weight. Poor little guy is so fat :eek:(

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There is a BMI for redfoots? What are those numbers and what are the same stats for your tortoise?

The only fat tortoises I have seen, was individuals who ate raw meet as a part of their diet, from long ago in a zoo far away. Once the diet was balanced and proper, they thinned out.

Tell, what is that quality diet you are using now?

And the simple answer to your question is "feed less than you do now, until the tortoise conforms to the redfoot BMI". It did not get obese in a day, so gradually reduce the amount of food offered until that goal is met.

Will

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
If it keeps eating, keep feeding it. Do not limit the amount of food it eats.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
bunch of follow ups.... is this the same tort that wouldn't eat a few months ago? and do you still have it in a tiny enclosure? Seems it was growing just fine maybe it's hunger is signs of a growth spurt but a small enclosure w/no exercise will cause among other problems a fat tort. If this is the same tort that wouldn't feed what stresses you more? an animal that wont eat or one that is fat and jolly? The only time I've had any obese reptiles were ornate hatchlings that outgrew the "nursery" caging I set up for them once they got moving in a bigger enclosure (and after their second winter w/o hibernating they thinned right out.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The Tortoise BMI (tBMI) is the result of applying the Donoghue Ratio that determines a healthy ratio of weight and size to a basic BMI formula. (https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/health-and-medical/healthy-weight-and-size). It is not clinically certified (although the Donoghue Ratio is), and is meant as a guideline for obesity.

Diet amounts: Pretty much unlimited amounts of calcium-rich, high-fiber, low-calorie foods, especially living or very fresh plants. Limit sweeter, fattier foods (meats, sweet fruits, etc.) to an amount about the size of the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.