How much should I feed my russian tortoise and beak overgrown.

Saltwater60

Location (City and/or State)
New York
She’s pumping her legs up and down to breathe. Because of the shell, tortoises can’t expand their diaphragms to breathe the way other animals can. The movements help push air into and out of the lungs.

Tortoises don’t get excited, I’m afraid. But that doesn’t make them any less interesting. :)
Well I still think she loves me!! I’m sure your correct though. My wife said the same thing.

Saltwater60

New York
Ok started the tortoise condo this weekend. I got pretty far so far. I have every thing cut and assembled. It fits together nicely. Now I just need to prime and paint.
Here is a picture. It’s 4’x8’, but at the end I had to cut out 8”x18” so I can access my electrical panel. This had to be done and I have no more room else where. It’s nearly 5x’s what she has now so I think she will be happy. I will build her something larger outside in the spring as well. The sides are 2’ high except for the back part to accommodate the electrical panel. Those are 16” high and that’s where her hidy hut will be. I will have a cap on there and I’ll add triangles at each corners.
She seem happy in what she’s in now so I think she will love this. I’m sad her great organic meals from my garden will end soon. She loves the raspberry leaves, water hyacinth, and rose petals.

Attachments

• 3866FD87-CA59-44A0-ADC3-A8EEB90813EF.jpeg
    3866FD87-CA59-44A0-ADC3-A8EEB90813EF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Ok started the tortoise condo this weekend. I got pretty far so far. I have every thing cut and assembled. It fits together nicely. Now I just need to prime and paint.
Here is a picture. It’s 4’x8’, but at the end I had to cut out 8”x18” so I can access my electrical panel. This had to be done and I have no more room else where. It’s nearly 5x’s what she has now so I think she will be happy. I will build her something larger outside in the spring as well. The sides are 2’ high except for the back part to accommodate the electrical panel. Those are 16” high and that’s where her hidy hut will be. I will have a cap on there and I’ll add triangles at each corners.
She seem happy in what she’s in now so I think she will love this. I’m sad her great organic meals from my garden will end soon. She loves the raspberry leaves, water hyacinth, and rose petals.

Looks like it’ll be great! It’s fine if it’s just slightly smaller than 8x4 feet, so that missing section isn’t an issue :)

Saltwater60

New York
Looks like it’ll be great! It’s fine if it’s just slightly smaller than 8x4 feet, so that missing section isn’t an issue :)
Awesome. Thanks. I should be done the end of the week. Most of it’s primed then I’ll need a few coats of paint. Then I’ll let it sit for a week before I add her to it. I don’t want her breathing that crap.

Saltwater60

New York
So I had a thought. I figured paint would hold up a few years maybe, but I do a lot of tiling and I have a half a bucket of red guard. It’s a paint on elstomeric water proof membrane. I’m thinking that might be better to use and will last longer. I’m just concerned about safety. Anyone know anything about this stuff and safety for reptiles.
This is the stuff.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-...nd-Crack-Prevention-Membrane-LQWAF1/100169081

Saltwater60

New York
Here is Pricilla Rose’s new home. I will put her in it tonight after the soil has had an opportunity to warm up. I’m looking for critiques. Be straightforward I won’t be offended unless you tell me her tank is too small. I spent a lot of time and a bit of money on it.
I know I will need to add the following:
another heat lamp it’s on her tank now
A piece of slate for her to eat on in her tank now as well.
A hidy hut also with her now
A uvb lamp it’s on her tank now as well
I will add 3 heat and humidity sensors. Is that enough?
That’s all I got so if you can think of anything else let me know.

I know there are kind of a lot of rocks in her tank, but her nails and beak are kind of long. I may take some out I may now. What’s your thoughts on that?
Also thinking of a ceramic heat emitter, but it’s dark there so I’d rather go with a second heat lamp.
The soil in her hidy area is about 8” deep in Hoping she digs.
I will also add some potted plants that will hang down that are safe for her to eat. I think it will look cool and she can snack when needed. Any ideas of some hanging plants that hold up well to nipping and grow fast?

Thanks all for your help and continued support. I want to make her a happy little tortoise.

Also she’s slowing down a bit. She’s still eating and pooping, but I noticed her sleeping a bit more than when I first got her. Temps(about 90 during the day and 60 at night)and humidity(50-60%)are right and her lights are on for 12 hours a day. I’m thinking this might be normal since I live in NY and it’s mid November? No snot and clean eyes. Looks as good as the day I got her. Also thinking she might just be a bit more comfortable now.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Saltwater60

New York
I love your flat rocks my tortoise would even more.It's a work in progress and really a great start
Thanks. If you were closer I have tons of flat rocks. My parent have country property in the southern tier of NYS and I dig them out of thier spring fed freestone stream. Lots of nice ones. Also I libe right on the Niagara river somlots of cool drift wood too. I’m spoiled I know. If your close I’m seriously happy to share.

Saltwater60

New York
Oh and it’s 5.2 times larger than her last tank.
My son is such a good tortoise dad. He wanted to put her coco coir from her old tank into her new tank so it smelled like home and wouldn’t upset her. He loves his animals.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks. If you were closer I have tons of flat rocks. My parent have country property in the southern tier of NYS and I dig them out of thier spring fed freestone stream. Lots of nice ones. Also I libe right on the Niagara river somlots of cool drift wood too. I’m spoiled I know. If your close I’m seriously happy to share.
Very interesting thought. I like your flat rocks because they are larger with climbing graduated steps to the flat top. My tortoise likes to climb something like that and then just sit and bask. I live in Ohio. I would not expect them for free. I was trying to figure out something for his indoor enclosure that would also give him a natural nail trimming from climbing safely...

Saltwater60

New York
Very interesting thought. I like your flat rocks because they are larger with climbing graduated steps to the flat top. My tortoise likes to climb something like that and then just sit and bask. I live in Ohio. I would not expect them for free. I was trying to figure out something for his indoor enclosure that would also give him a natural nail trimming from climbing safely...
She seems to be using them a lot. She has been roaming around and climbing over them a good bit. Even thenone with the step up she seems to like it.
Also I wouldn’t charge you. I have some a good bit bigger than that as well and basically everything in between. I can just go dig more out of my parents creek. I have a huge pond in my backyard lined with flat rocks and about 50 more waiting to be placed around the pond.

Saltwater60

New York
Be careful with that light on the clamp. It's usually not recommended to rely on the clamp and instead hang it from above.
I thought about that, but they seemed pretty secure. I’m thinking of screwing the clamps down with the metal electrical conduit holders so they can’t fall into the tank. I have to add an led light overhead to illuminate the other side of her tank so she goes over there more.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Looks great!
As Vladimir said be careful of the lamp clamp as they can sometimes fail then cause fires.
The good thing about hanging the lamps and che etc. rather than fixing them at one height is that you can raise or lower the bulb to adjust temps under it so that your tort isn't too hot or cold.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
She seems to be using them a lot. She has been roaming around and climbing over them a good bit. Even thenone with the step up she seems to like it.
Also I wouldn’t charge you. I have some a good bit bigger than that as well and basically everything in between. I can just go dig more out of my parents creek. I have a huge pond in my backyard lined with flat rocks and about 50 more waiting to be placed around the pond.
No I would at the very least want to pay for shipping. Just wait little Rose will be sitting on one of those rocks. Then you'll really understand why I would love to have about 4. Two for inside and 2 for outside. I also have a box turtle and she needs climbing rocks too. Right now she sits on a ceramic candle plate that doesn't give her what she needs for her nails.

Saltwater60

New York
No I would at the very least want to pay for shipping. Just wait little Rose will be sitting on one of those rocks. Then you'll really understand why I would love to have about 4. Two for inside and 2 for outside. I also have a box turtle and she needs climbing rocks too. Right now she sits on a ceramic candle plate that doesn't give her what she needs for her nails.
If you need them shipped sure pay for that, but other than that I don’t want any money from you. Your help and advice is payment enough. If your serious let me know what sizes your looking for and we can figure it out. Shipping would not be cheap though. I have a bunch and could take some photos of what I have.

I love box turtles and I have always wanted one. The eastern box turtle is native to NYS and the only turtle in NYS I’ve never caught. Also illegal for me to own since it’s a native species. I’m sure there are other box turtles, but the coloring and the red eyes of the Easter s is just beautiful.

Saltwater60

New York
Looks great!
As Vladimir said be careful of the lamp clamp as they can sometimes fail then cause fires.
The good thing about hanging the lamps and che etc. rather than fixing them at one height is that you can raise or lower the bulb to adjust temps under it so that your tort isn't too hot or cold.
That’s a great idea. My basking temp right now is 96F. As I understand that’s about perfect on the top end.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
If you need them shipped sure pay for that, but other than that I don’t want any money from you. Your help and advice is payment enough. If your serious let me know what sizes your looking for and we can figure it out. Shipping would not be cheap though. I have a bunch and could take some photos of what I have.

I love box turtles and I have always wanted one. The eastern box turtle is native to NYS and the only turtle in NYS I’ve never caught. Also illegal for me to own since it’s a native species. I’m sure there are other box turtles, but the coloring and the red eyes of the Easter s is just beautiful.
I don't feel like I've given you anything but moral support. The older members can give you so much more then me as far as lighting,etc. I do enjoy coming up with interesting animal enclosures though. Do you have a p.o.box so that you and I can remain anonymous online? I would send you my info and shipping costs. I'm either going to do this or make it myself and it wouldn't be what I want. The rocks would have to be ceramic and still not being the emery board for my animals nails and beak that they need. I want 4. 6 to 10 inches on the flat sides and 3 more or less inches thick. Ohio doesn't have those that I've been able to find. If your rocks don't get hot, they could be placed under a light for a warming stone.

Saltwater60

New York
It’s dark now let me see what I can find here in the light. I’m sure I have something like that. I don’t have a PO Box, but I’m not really worried about that from my end. I understand your concern though. I’ll look tomorrow and take some pictures of what I have. Take a look at shipping costs, but I’d think the best way would be USPS flat rate shipping due to the weight. Also the post office is probably most convenient for me.