How much should I pay my pet sitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashland, Oregon
I am going home for the week of Christmas, and my boyfriend is going home for 4 days around Christmas, so I asked a friend of mine (who's a vet tech yay!) to come and look after all the animals. She is really busy and can only come once a day, (plus I am pretty sure I can only afford to pay her to come once a day) so I made a VERY skeletal care schedule for her. My plan is to leave the tortoise's basking lights on 24/7, so they can have the heat and hopefully they will just go into their dark hides to sleep. Hopefully it won't mess them up too much for just 4 days.
I've re-written my list like 8 times trying to cut it down, and it's still pretty extensive. But here's what I've got:

I’m going to leave the heat on set at 62 degrees so that the pipes in the house don’t freeze, and the animal room will stay above 60. Make sure the door is closed all the time!
The tortoise’s lights should be on 24/7.
Tortoises:
• Please soak each tortoise for about 5 minutes is luke-warm water up to their necks. The bigger tortoises that are together get soaked in the blue pan together, and the smaller light-colored tortoise gets soaked in the ceramic bowl by herself. Make sure the small tortoise does not fall asleep in the water!
• The two larger tortoises get ~2 cups of greens (torn up into little pieces) a day, and the smaller tortoise gets ~one cup of greens. (In the tupperware at the bottom of the fridge.)
• If the substrate under the heat lamps looks dry, please dump a lot of water in it until it looks damp. (I do this about once a day usually).
• They should have water in their water bowls.

Axolotl: (In the kitchen)
All he needs is food; he eats frozen blood worms from the freezer. Just pop out a cube of worms into a cup of water from his tank, let it thaw, and then dump in it with him.
Betta Fish: (on the desk in our room)
Each fish gets ~5 pellets of Hikari per day.
Lizard:
He eats one small cricket per day from the pink bucket underneath the tortoise table. Usually he will grab the cricket if it walks in front of him, but if he doesn’t, take it back out. Mist his enclosure a lot, and make sure his water bowl is full.
Rats:
Make sure they have food and water.

I'm leaving out the tortoises's Mazuri because they still can't eat it unsupervised. The Russians get aggressive over it if I let them free-feed, and Delaware will only eat it from my hand. I'm also leaving out all vitamins and treats/food variation for all the animals, for simplicity's sake.

So my question is, how much would you pay a pet-sitter for all this? The professionals around here charge $25 a day for one visit (yikes). She lives pretty close so it's not that far of a drive, but it does seem like a lot of work.

Help greatly appreciated!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally I don't pay my friends for helping me out, and I don't accept payment from friends who I help out, whether it is helping to move or installing something I am usually happy if they buy apizza and some beer. I guess it would depend on how good of a friend she is and how much you appreciate her help. I would say a small gift might suffice if she is a good friend, you could always ask her how much she wants for this service and then go from there, or offer a token amount of say 10$ a day since she is not gonna be there very long.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My daughter does pet sitting. She normally takes care of dogs and cats, and she only goes over once a day. During that time, she feeds, waters, plays with the cats and walks the dogs, picks up poop and cleans litter trays. Sometimes the pet owner has special instructions, but mostly its just the above mentioned. For this service she gets $20 a visit.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Why pay a pet sitter? Tortoises can go weeks without food or water. If you drop the temperature... they can go longer.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
dmmj said:
Personally I don't pay my friends for helping me out, and I don't accept payment from friends who I help out, whether it is helping to move or installing something I am usually happy if they buy apizza and some beer. I guess it would depend on how good of a friend she is and how much you appreciate her help. I would say a small gift might suffice if she is a good friend, you could always ask her how much she wants for this service and then go from there, or offer a token amount of say 10$ a day since she is not gonna be there very long.

I had one friend who I didn't pay $$ to take care of my pets because she basically lived with me at the time, but generally I think it's important to pay a pet sitter. People are more likely to do things well if there is a monetary value placed on it. She did say she didn't want me to pay her, but I said that I would and I think I should.

My daughter does pet sitting. She normally takes care of dogs and cats, and she only goes over once a day. During that time, she feeds, waters, plays with the cats and walks the dogs, picks up poop and cleans litter trays. Sometimes the pet owner has special instructions, but mostly its just the above mentioned. For this service she gets $20 a visit.

That seems really fair, and I kind of tend to think "exotics" should cost more to care for than cats or dogs, but they are in a cage and don't require any walking/cuddling, so may be not.

I'm kind of leaning towards 15$ a day.
In case you haven't noticed, I am a total cheapskate so this is all really hard :)
Thanks for all your advice.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I used to "sleep" my chameleons through my vacations or weekends out of town, and I had hundreds of them. They'd be better off with the heat turned off and light dimmed or shortened than with everything on... No food, some automatic misting of water and that was it. Sometimes I even packed them like I was shipping them, and left them in a cool closet. I never had any problems with this. Tortoises are 100 times more hardy than chameleons, so I don't see why not just do that. Heat and light just create the problems by drying them out. The best thing about tortoises is that you don't need a babysitter.

Chipdog

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Columbus Ohio
When I go out of town I pay a friends kid (read friend has to go too to drive the kid) to check up and take care of the animals. At the time I had my 2 aldabras a fresh and saltwater tank one dog and one sun conure. The other children in the family would fight over getting to go too. When you have cool animals like we all do they really enjoy the time they get to spend with them. I paid $10 a day and they would stop in twice a day. The best thing you can ever do is leave detailed instructions. Especially with feeding. For my fish tanks I would portion out how much to feed everyday in little cups.

I don't think the torts need to be soaked. As long as they have a water dish they will be fine for way more then 4 days. You can skip the feeding also. I know my torts are bigger but they will sometimes spend days in there box and not come out for food or water.
I think the only thing you would have to worry about would be the rats. I have seen rats conditions get horrible overnite.

I hope I helped you out instead of making you more confused. All in all if you want to go overboard have a neighborhood kid drop in every day and have the vet tech friend drop in once.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
TylerStewart said:
I used to "sleep" my chameleons through my vacations or weekends out of town, and I had hundreds of them. They'd be better off with the heat turned off and light dimmed or shortened than with everything on... No food, some automatic misting of water and that was it. Sometimes I even packed them like I was shipping them, and left them in a cool closet. I never had any problems with this. Tortoises are 100 times more hardy than chameleons, so I don't see why not just do that. Heat and light just create the problems by drying them out. The best thing about tortoises is that you don't need a babysitter.

I have to hire a pet sitter for all my other animals too, so it's not really any extra problem to have her take care of the torts as well. And as it's only 4 days, I don't really want them to have to re-adjust to ant kind of brumation, especially when I can't monitor them and such.
Also, I just got Delaware the sully to actually eat like a sully should, and grow, and I don't want to interrupt that!

Would you recommend just 'storing' even a non-hibernating tortoise? I think I remember reading that Sulcatas have a sort of hibernation/period of inactivity too, but I thought that was due to heat, not cold.
Thanks,
Kayti

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
-EJ said:
Why pay a pet sitter? Tortoises can go weeks without food or water. If you drop the temperature... they can go longer.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
Chipdog said:
When I go out of town I pay a friends kid (read friend has to go too to drive the kid) to check up and take care of the animals. At the time I had my 2 aldabras a fresh and saltwater tank one dog and one sun conure. The other children in the family would fight over getting to go too. When you have cool animals like we all do they really enjoy the time they get to spend with them. I paid $10 a day and they would stop in twice a day. The best thing you can ever do is leave detailed instructions. Especially with feeding. For my fish tanks I would portion out how much to feed everyday in little cups.

I don't think the torts need to be soaked. As long as they have a water dish they will be fine for way more then 4 days. You can skip the feeding also. I know my torts are bigger but they will sometimes spend days in there box and not come out for food or water.
I think the only thing you would have to worry about would be the rats. I have seen rats conditions get horrible overnite.

I hope I helped you out instead of making you more confused. All in all if you want to go overboard have a neighborhood kid drop in every day and have the vet tech friend drop in once.

I do like to soak them everyday just because Delaware is young and her health has been so fragile in the past. I know hydration in the most important aspect of raising baby animals and sick animals. But, the Russians would probably be fine without soaking. I'm just a chronic over-motherer :p

The rats I am not worried about at all. I only have 2 in a huge cage (they're pets) and they are very well-behaved ladies. Of all my pets, they require the least maintenance. Even if they can't be out for exercise/cuddles, they have a nice new huge wheel now that they both run on.

Man I wish I could get paid to play with 2 aldabras!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...No matter how you get things set up, you will still worry!! I always do.
Instead of leaving the lights on 24/7, go to Walmart and get a timer...$5...and set the lights to go on and off on the same cycle as you are doing now. It will be too stressful to leave them on.
Also, you mentioned to put "a lot of water" in if it was dry...be more specific with the amount. 'A lot' could mean 2 cups to one person, or 5 gallons to another!
And, it is better to have too many details than not enough. Make sure the sitter has you phone number, just in case.
I think $15 is fine.
Good luck
Patsy

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
K9KidsLove said:
Instead of leaving the lights on 24/7, go to Walmart and get a timer...$5...and set the lights to go on and off on the same cycle as you are doing now. It will be too stressful to leave them on.
Also, you mentioned to put "a lot of water" in if it was dry...be more specific with the amount. 'A lot' could mean 2 cups to one person, or 5 gallons to another!
And, it is better to have too many details than not enough. Make sure the sitter has you phone number, just in case.
I think $15 is fine.
Good luck
Patsy

Good points, thank you!

And I might go with the timer idea, but I'm still really leaning towards keeping the lights on. Since everyone sleeps in a hide and I'm mostly worried about it getting too cold :/ My house gets REALLY cold, except for my room, because of the tort lights. Even with the heater on full blast, we can sometimes see our breath in the living room.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
First... what is the species?

If there are other pets that are not reptiles or amphibians... this conversation is a moot point.

Unless you have Egyptians, Colombian RFs or golden greeks... you can easily drop the temperature to at least 40F.

Again... it is your loving pet and the final decision is yours.

Kayti said:
K9KidsLove said:
I think $15 is fine.
Good luck
Patsy

Good points, thank you!

And I might go with the timer idea, but I'm still really leaning towards keeping the lights on. Since everyone sleeps in a hide and I'm mostly worried about it getting too cold :/ My house gets REALLY cold, except for my room, because of the tort lights. Even with the heater on full blast, we can sometimes see our breath in the living room.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
A 2nd timer would turn on either a red or a black light or a ceramic heat emitter in the evening when the daytime lights go off. When it is cold enough for night heat here, I leave a red light on 24/7 and add the incandescent lights during the day.
Good luck
Patsy

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Kayti,I know it's so hard to leave, and I do the same thing as you. I rewrite that list over and over the weeks before I go anywhere. You know what's best for your torts, but personally I am with Chipdog and the not soaking. I would worry more about something happening, her forgetting, too much water etc. Just my take on your situation. I think the timers are the way to go also, I have all my lights on timers now and we can see our breath in our icebox house also(sometimes!)
Have a nice time anyway.
Na

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I'm storing about... 50 tortoises for the next 2 months. They include Redfoots, Aldabras, Russinans, Leopards and Greeks. I've been doing this for anou 4 years now... actually longer.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
-EJ said:
I'm storing about... 50 tortoises for the next 2 months. They include Redfoots, Aldabras, Russinans, Leopards and Greeks. I've been doing this for anou 4 years now... actually longer.

EJ, What is storing? A cool down period or hibernation?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
$15 a day??? I don't know where you live, but here in NY people get $25 a day just to let a dog out in the yard for a few minutes once a day. Something like you want done would cost at least $30 or more a day here. My son pays a girl $35. a day to let his dog in the yard twice a day and make sure he has water and play with him for a while in the yard. I guess it's all according to where you live.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Doesn't leaving your tort(s) alone for a vacation depend on the type of tort? Because Redfoots don't hibernate. I wish I could just sleep them.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Doesn't leaving your tort(s) alone for a vacation depend on the type of tort? Because Redfoots don't hibernate. I wish I could just sleep them.

They don't have to be a hibernating species to sleep for a few days or a week. My sulcatas, redfoots, yellows, pancakes and leopards and others go into "sleep mode" most of the winter, where they'll run around an hour a day (spending the other 23 hours in heated hideboxes). They eat almost nothing all winter, although food is offered. If they cool down and have little light, almost any reptile will go into "sleep mode" for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.