How much should I pay my pet sitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
In my eyes there is no difference. Tortoises don't truely hibernate. This is a point I've been trying to get across for many years but people don't seem to get it.

There is not a tortoise in the world that I can think of that does not occasionally go through either a cool down or a heat up period to where they go throgh some kind of rest period.

The cool area where I keep them will get down into the 40s on really cold nights... some would consider that hibernation... I consider that dropping the metabolism to an inactive level.

bettinge said:
-EJ said:
I'm storing about... 50 tortoises for the next 2 months. They include Redfoots, Aldabras, Russinans, Leopards and Greeks. I've been doing this for anou 4 years now... actually longer.

EJ, What is storing? A cool down period or hibernation?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Does the Betta have a heater, because won't 62 be too cold for him?

Also have you really checked to see what temps the spots they are all living in stay at when the thermostat is set at a certain temp? I did this last time I was home just to be sure I had fans, heat emitters, UTH, ect.., where they actually were needed to keep temps where I wanted them...not just where I thought they already would be according to the thermostat. House thermo was set at 80 all day and night, but some spots still got down to 65 at night. The flip side was the way our furnace kicks out heat high up, some upper cages could get upper 90s.

Do you have a plan incase a winter storm blows in and electricity goes out?

I agree with using timers, have the food prepared ahead cut up as you want it and maybe even each day already bagged for each enclosure where possible.

A list of emergency numbers to reach you at any time?

When I am on the road, my firend cares for my animals when my son is at college. She got a propane tank fill (which is what she wanted and needed the most) for $350 to do them all winter. She ended up having to do more then planned on (or even asked to do), so I gave her a $100 bonus gift one week. Now I have a huge herd of turtles, tortoises, a bearded dragon, geckos, geese, cats, and dogs so it is a lot of work to keep up.

Talk with this person and see what they think. For just this short of time, if a friend asked me to care for the few animals you have, I would have done it for free. Come to think of it, I have done it before for my current caretaker. She usually gave me a gift...something turtlish of course...lol. It's just as a friend, I felt it was part of our friendship to step in and help out, perhaps your person will feel the same way.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I just read where they are Russians...

Drop the temperature a week or two before you leave. Place them in a container where they can burry down or be buried.

They will be more than fine as long as the temperatures stay above freezing.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon

YES all my bettas have heaters! And they don't live in vases either. :) It's really nice to hear good betta advice though, as it's so rare.

I'm testing leaving the thermostat at 62 while we're still here. I think it'll ends up making the room stay around 75, with the door closed.

Good point about the electricity going out. I wouldn't even know what to do if I was here. I think we have a gas heater, would that still work with no electricity? I'm really ignorant in the ways of houses.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kayti said:

YES all my bettas have heaters! And they don't live in vases either. :) It's really nice to hear good betta advice though, as it's so rare.

Good point about the electricity going out. I wouldn't even know what to do if I was here. I think we have a gas heater, would that still work with no electricity? I'm really ignorant in the ways of houses.

It's just that people were focusing on just the reptiles, mainly the tortoises which is natural considering what kind of a forum this is, but you need to look at each of them.

Those unexpected things happen, that's why it's always best if you can, to have somebody daily check on any animal at home alone. Furnaces go out, electricity can go out, shorts can cause fuses to blow and electricity to stop, bulbs burn out, bulbs fall, and animals escape where they never have before. Always prepare for the worst.

Our home is heated with a propane furnace, but the fan to move it runs off electricity. Just before I came home for Thanksgiving unknown to me, a snow storm had taken out our electricity for several days. So this point was just freshened in my mind. I have freestanding propane heaters and even handwarmer packets as backup, but had never thought to tell my sitter. She failed to call me about the situation and was making plans if the electricity had not come on when it did, to take over a couple of propane heaters she had in storage. Some of my animals did end up getting cooled lower then I feel they should, but all seem to be coming out of it okay.

As for your gas heater, you may also need electricity for the fan...some do and some don't. Also depending on what it uses to tell it to turn the heat on/off, that too may use electricity. Only way to know, is to check what yours is like.

Status
Not open for further replies.