how much UV does my juvenile yellow belly slider need?

geckoskin

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have a 30 gallon aquarium that has been for fish only until recently. I rescued a young YBS (approx 3.5 inches long) crossing the street in a residential area, and picked it up with the intention of releasing it into the creek behind my house, where I have seen wild YBS living.

Instead of releasing it immediately, I decided to keep it in my 30 gallon fish tank for a while, until it gets too large, at which point I will release it again as originally planned.

The tank has a lot of living vegetation, a heater, and stays around 85 degrees in spring through fall, and a few degrees cooler in winter. To make the tank more suitable, I have upgraded the filter from an aqueon 30 to an aqueon 75 to ensure the water stays clean, and purchased a floating basking pad that is sitting at the top of the tank. It is only a few inches from the 24" LED tube light i currently have, which does not provide UV light. I am looking into UV options and I want to ensure it gets enough, but not too much.

As the tube is only a few inches from the basking pad, I keep it on 14+ hours a day, and the entire tank is illuminated, I am concerned that a UV tube like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQU8GF0/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 would provide too much UVB. From what I understand, YBS have relatively low UV requirements.

Would something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095Z2CZTS/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 be more appropriate? I could put it right above the basking pad, on a 12 hour timer separate from the main lighting.

I understand that a more ideal environment for a YBS would be a half-full tank with a larger & warmer basking area further away from the light, more shade, cooler water, but I have what i have and i think it should be sufficient for several months to a year or so, depending on how quickly the turtle grows and whether it seems to remain healthy and happy in the tank.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Where in Florida are you?
I'm in south Florida and I have a variety of extra UVB light systems.
With that distance I'd reccomend a T5 HO 5.0 STRIP FLORESCENT UVB light.
(A 10.0 is usually used. But not at that distance)

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Well I'm NOT familliar with YBS, but with "regular" Torts, a couple of hours UVB a week I believe is sufficient. Put the UVB light on a timer.