How much veggies to give 5 month old sulcata? And what to feed him?

Katiehu

Location (City and/or State)
SOUTH CAROLINA
I know people say to feed them veggies everyday. But how much? He is only 5 months old. He eats mazuri and grass

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I know people say to feed them veggies everyday. But how much? He is only 5 months old. He eats mazuri and grass
That's not a good diet in any way. Please read this care sheet, and it will get you started on the right road. To answer your question, in the wild they would walk for miles grazing, taking a bite here and there. Mazuri should only be given 2 or 3 times a week. I don't like feeding it to young tortoises as it has molasses in it and they get addicted (kinda) to Mazuri and start refusing greens or grass. So here is that care sheet, you might post some photos of the tort and his enclosure so we can see where you need help

Katiehu

SOUTH CAROLINA
That's not a good diet in any way. Please read this care sheet, and it will get you started on the right road. To answer your question, in the wild they would walk for miles grazing, taking a bite here and there. Mazuri should only be given 2 or 3 times a week. I don't like feeding it to young tortoises as it has molasses in it and they get addicted (kinda) to Mazuri and start refusing greens or grass. So here is that care sheet, you might post some photos of the tort and his enclosure so we can see where you need help
He only gets mizuri 2 times a week when I mix his calcium In it. Grass is everyday. I just need advice on the veggies

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He only gets mizuri 2 times a week when I mix his calcium In it. Grass is everyday. I just need advice on the veggies
Most of what we call veggies are actually fruit, and sulcatas should have minimal fruit. Anything containing seeds is actually fruit - tomatoes, squash, etc.

Katiehu

SOUTH CAROLINA
Most of what we call veggies are actually fruit, and sulcatas should have minimal fruit. Anything containing seeds is actually fruit - tomatoes, squash, etc.
So I’m assuming their diet should consist of mostly flowers and weeds?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I’m assuming their diet should consist of mostly flowers and weeds?
Weeds, grasses, leaves, flowers, and succulents are best.

It is explained more fully in the care sheet.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
almost no veggies at all. as said above they eat grass and weeds primarily. i think someone linked you to the care sheet here that will tell you basically all you need.