How much will building a tortoise table cost for an adult red foot?

tortoisefreak21

Location (City and/or State)
new york
Hi, I want to build a tortoise table for an adult red foot in my apartment and I want to know how much that will cost my price range is $100-$350.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It will depend what materials you use and design I suppose.
For an adult redfoot I think you are looking at something pretty big - much bigger than the
4 x 8 feet recommended for adults of the smaller species.
Do you have outdoor space available for him for the summer months?
@ZEROPILOT doesn't keep them indoors anymore but he may be able to tell you what you need.
You could try to adapt and join together some of the Lifetime raised garden bed kits.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As Lynn said.
My experience with keeping Redfoot indoors is limited.
I see that many members use a mini greenhouse for an indoors closed chamber enclosure. But the size is very limited.
An adult Redfoot will need an entire room more or less

Last edited:

tortoisefreak21

new york
It will depend what materials you use and design I suppose.
For an adult redfoot I think you are looking at something pretty big - much bigger than the
4 x 8 feet recommended for adults of the smaller species.
Do you have outdoor space available for him for the summer months?
@ZEROPILOT doesn't keep them indoors anymore but he may be able to tell you what you need.
You could try to adapt and join together some of the Lifetime raised garden bed kits.
I live in an apartment but when I get a house I want to make an outdoor enclosure for him and what material should I get also I never built an enclosure before.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I've just seen your other thread and the advice you were given there.
Did you get a redfoot after the advice to go for something smaller for an apartment?
How long do you think it will be before you can get a house with enough space?
How old and big is your RF now?

tortoisefreak21

new york
I've just seen your other thread and the advice you were given there.
Did you get a redfoot after the advice to go for something smaller for an apartment?
How long do you think it will be before you can get a house with enough space?
How old and big is your RF now?
I don't have one now I thinking about getting a hatchling or juvenile and building an adult enclosure before I get it but I'm interested to get a Herman or greek tortoise but they are hard to find.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I would put the RF idea on hold until you have the space to accommodate one properly; it would be cruel to keep any tort in a smaller space than he needs. he could end up with MBD or digestive problems.
I'm sure members here can put you in touch with recommended breeder for smaller species but even they need a minimum space of 4 x 8 feet space. So you have to seriously consider if a tortoise is right for you at the moment.
I don't know anything about turtles, but they have different care needs too - there are threads in the species specific section. Research first and see which best suits your circumstances.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I want to build a tortoise table for an adult red foot in my apartment and I want to know how much that will cost my price range is $100-$350.
Tables don't work for RFs. You need a large closed chamber. Its cheaper to buy one than to buy the materials and build it yourself anymore. The size you'd need will cost more than $350.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree it's best to wait. Having a large tortoise in too small an enclosure can't cause mbd but can cause problems like not being able to walk properly for lack of exercise because of lack of walking space. The small species like the Hermanns or russian still need a 4x8 foot as an adult.
Hatchlings are hard to find now as most don't start hatching until spring
If you have a spare room in your apartment then dedicate the whole room to a redfoot otherwise anything else will be too small.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would put the RF idea on hold until you have the space to accommodate one properly; it would be cruel to keep any tort in a smaller space than he needs. he could end up with MBD or digestive problems.
I'm sure members here can put you in touch with recommended breeder for smaller species but even they need a minimum space of 4 x 8 feet space. So you have to seriously consider if a tortoise is right for you at the moment.
I don't know anything about turtles, but they have different care needs too - there are threads in the species specific section. Research first and see which best suits your circumstances.
I dont think, never heard of, too small of an enclosure causing mbd. It can cause walking problems but that's due to lack of space to get proper exercise. Mbd is lack of calcium/phosphorous imbalance and lack of uvb, if I'm remembering correctly.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If this is going to be your first tortoise and if the costs of items and the size enclosure that a specialty species like a Redfoot will need. I'd suggest either waiting until you can provide an outdoors enclosure or focus on another species. If not another type of reptile that can be easily kept in an apartment like a Bearded dragon or a Ball python, etc.