How often do I replace UV strip light?

tsemiller

I have had the same bulb for 7 months but do I need to replace after a certain amount of time or just when the bulb eventually runs out???

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You should replace it every 6months because the UV rays are decreased Evan though it still gives off light .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I totally agree. Now, the Mercury Vapor bulbs can go closer to a year before being replaced, but that is still with less UVB then when new and they are more expensive, but do give off heat, light and better UVB then but nothing is better then the sun.

tsemiller

Thanks - will get it replaced as soon as I can. He's been outside a lot lately as weather been really good but winters in Scotland are way too cold so good UV light indoors is a must during winter.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Every 6 months. It's good to write in sharpie on the ceramic peice of the build the date that you put it in (I forget a lot :D )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I disagree with all of the above. Get a light meter and TEST your bulb. This is especially important if you live in a climate where your tortoise is not going to get much sunshine over the course of a year. You need to make SURE hat your tortoise is getting enough UV at his level. Your bulbs might only last 3 months or they might last 2 years. Either way you need to check them and adjust as needed.

If your tortoise will be getting some sunshine for the next couple of months, I would wait to replace the bulb until fall. That way you've got a fresh bulb for fall and going into winter.

Here is a good UV meter:
https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Tom is right . If you have any reptilians you need a meter to read the uvb .

tsemiller

Thanks Tom - time to get a light meter then lol - appreciate all he advice I get in this site xxx