how often do sulcatas eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
indiana
Hi, ive had my sulcata for about 3 weeks now, i believe hes about 2 years old (6 1/2 inches long). Ive offered him plenty of greens, mazuri feed and weeds, and i have never seen him touch any of it. I let him roam around the backyard in the day time and ive seen him munch on a little grass.

My question is how often do sulcatas eat of drink? should i only offer food every couple days?

Attachments

• n1162410042_30112557_9289.jpg
    n1162410042_30112557_9289.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 69

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
kevantheman35 said:
Hi, ive had my sulcata for about 3 weeks now, i believe hes about 2 years old (6 1/2 inches long). Ive offered him plenty of greens, mazuri feed and weeds, and i have never seen him touch any of it. I let him roam around the backyard in the day time and ive seen him munch on a little grass.

My question is how often do sulcatas eat of drink? should i only offer food every couple days?

Hi...Congrats on the new Sulcata. S/he is probably grazing more than you've seen. I would suggest taking a fresh poop to your reptile vet to check for parasites, coccidia, bacteria, etc.

Do you dampen the Mazuri? I mix 100% apple juice with equal amounts of water & pour it over the pellets. My Sulcatas gobble it up.

Good luck
Patsy

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Greetings, Kevan ~

You should offer fresh food and water daily. as torties are not like snakes that may normally go for long periods of time without eating.

I would question the heat/sunlight that you give your tortie {they need the proper lighting/sunlight in order for the enzymes in the tummy to digest his food} and the more active s/he is, the more I would think he would eat..

The idea of taking him in for a check up is prolly a good idea as well. In addition, you might wish to start tracking the weight to make sure he is gaining, as it could be difficult to know how much is really being eaten. Weight loss would certainly have me running to a vet or changing something about the habitat.

Bestest wishes for a hungry tortie!
Purpod

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
ok thanks to both of you, i weighed him for the first time last night and he wieghed in at 2lbs 3 ounces, and 6 1/2 inches long. im guessing about 2 years old? the lighting he gets is mainly sunlight as he is outside about 5/6 hours a day. im also planning on getting a full spectrum light for rainy days.

Status
Not open for further replies.