how often do you change your torts substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
for those of you who keep your torts on a tabletop enclosure or people who keep their torts inside: how often do you change the substrate?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
When they are inside I do spot clean up daily and change their substrate once a week. But I keep them on both hay and turtle carpet.

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
Just as Crazy1 stated I spot clean. But I change out the bed a beast sand mixture every couple of months. I soak my torts in a seperat container and they do the "duty" in the water...for the most part.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
i do regular daily poop picks.

But i change their substrates every 2 weeks.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Iluvemturts said:
Just as Crazy1 stated I spot clean. But I change out the bed a beast sand mixture every couple of months. I soak my torts in a seperat container and they do the "duty" in the water...for the most part.

i do this... the water helps clear out the digestive tract, so you could basically control when and where your tortoise poops.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Not all the time spikethebest, some tortoises will poo all over their cage like mine, they dont go and poo in the water dish, they poo where ever they want.

Which means poop picks are happening.
However fi your tortoise does poop in the water thats great!
its like a potty trained child!

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
When they are inside I do spot clean up daily and change their substrate once a week. But I keep them on both hay and turtle carpet.

I spot clean mine daily and completely scrub and clean the hatchlings table top once a month.I never use hay though,as its too dusty and can cause respiratory problems in the long run.I've never heard of turtle carpet,my babies have hemp (Auboise).

Status
Not open for further replies.