How often is Parvovirus shots given?

JohnnyB65

Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA High Desert
I just got wind of one of the neighbors dogs being diagnosed with the Parvovirus and I’m panicking. My dogs were given the 5-in-1 shots along with the booster shot years ago, but I don’t know if they need more shots.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Check with your vets shot records. The program we used when breeding dogs was three shots between 6 and 16 weeks given every three weeks. In adults a shot at one year after final puppy shot. Booster every three to four years. Don't worry about it unless your dog had direct contact with neighbors dog.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I'm remembering correctly, the parvo virus can live in the soil/grass/etc. for a very long time. You need to keep your dogs away from anyplace the infected dog has been

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Once a year booster. That was in my busy dog days. Things may have changed and depends on the vaccine your vet uses. Here it's still a yearly thing and if I were you, I would worry and have your dog vaccinated. Many things can transfer it to your dog.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Check with your vets shot records. The program we used when breeding dogs was three shots between 6 and 16 weeks given every three weeks. In adults a shot at one year after final puppy shot. Booster every three to four years. Don't worry about it unless your dog had direct contact with neighbors dog.
Thanks Larry, my dogs have not been out side the yard for at least a year, but I read that they can also get it from peoples shoes. We have kind of tight neighborhood where everybody is at each others house.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Once a year booster. That was in my busy dog days. Things may have changed and depends on the vaccine your vet uses. Here it's still a yearly thing and if I were you, I would worry and have your dog vaccinated. Many things can transfer it to your dog.
My wife is going to call the vet tomorrow morning to check on their shots. We usually just take them in for rabies shots and we believe the vet is automatically keeping them up to date but not sure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

The last sentence above is incorrect. Easily transferred.

Last edited by a moderator:

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Thanks Larry, my dogs have not been out side the yard for at least a year, but I read that they can also get it from peoples shoes. We have kind of tight neighborhood where everybody is at each others house.
If in doubt by all means get your dog a shot. We once had experience with this in a stud we got from another breeder while in quarantine ( this was the kiss of death for that breeder). Luckily though we lost dog, it was in quarantine, all our dogs were vaccinated, and quarantine walkout was in winter at -20 degrees.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
We had a dog die from it about 15 years ago. A neighbor found a litter of pups out in the desert and gave one to my daughter. I used to go for 5 mile walks every day and decided to take the dog with me one day.

We were attacked by a pit bull half way through the walk and the only thing I could do was to let go of the leash because I knew my dog could out run the pit bull. Well I thought the dog would know her way home, but I was wrong. The dog was lost for a week or so and we searched everywhere while placing lost posters up. And then we got a call from animal control that they had her and was bringing her home.

They pulled her out of a nasty filthy compartment in the truck and she died within a week of coming home. We took her to the vet but were told that she would probably not make it through the night which she didn’t.

I bleached everything and burned all of her bedding. I now know how fast it can kill and it scares me. We had an older dog at the time and he wasn’t affected.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
By direct contact I mean not only dog to dog contact but also feces, vomit and other bodily effluents. This my arguments against dog parks and advocacy for cleaning up after your dog (poop bags).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
By direct contact I mean not only dog to dog contact but also feces, vomit and other bodily effluents. This my arguments against dog parks and advocacy for cleaning up after your dog (poop bags).

Yes, and as I had already said, humans and varmits, bugs, etc can transfer it to other areas if they walk through the infected area.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We had a dog die from it about 15 years ago. A neighbor found a litter of pups out in the desert and gave one to my daughter. I used to go for 5 mile walks every day and decided to take the dog with me one day.

We were attacked by a pit bull half way through the walk and the only thing I could do was to let go of the leash because I knew my dog could out run the pit bull. Well I thought the dog would know her way home, but I was wrong. The dog was lost for a week or so and we searched everywhere while placing lost posters up. And then we got a call from animal control that they had her and was bringing her home.

They pulled her out of a nasty filthy compartment in the truck and she died within a week of coming home. We took her to the vet but were told that she would probably not make it through the night which she didn’t.

I bleached everything and burned all of her bedding. I now know how fast it can kill and it scares me. We had an older dog at the time and he wasn’t affected.

It is awful and really quite easily spread.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa

That is exactly how I would have handled it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California