How often should I have a humidifier on?

Grapes

I have a homemade humidifier in my Sulcata hatchling closed chamber. Should I have the humidifier on all day like my lights? The humidity is at 70% with the humidifier on. It's not u healthy for me to have it on all day is it?

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
image.jpeg I'm not sure how long it needs to be on. However, I keep mine on for about ten hours. Part of that is so that I don't wear out another humidifier. My Rowan dries out enough that he doesn't get whitish growth on his plastron anymore (I used to run the humidifier continuously), and his shell still looks smooth. Rowan's a Cherryhead Redfoot by the way.

Grapes

Ok thanks for the info I've had it running for 2 days straight lol probably need to give it a break.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't use humidifiers. You should not need it in a closed chamber.

How are you measuring your humidity?

Grapes

I have a digital hygrometer from petco in the enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can we see an enclosure pic? That might give us some insight.

Grapes

What is it about the humidifier that you dont like? Have you gotten bad results in the past or something?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
An unneeded appliance. Mine left behind too much water and kept running out of water.
Closed chamber is just very simple. Light on a timer. Ad water into the corners when the humidity starts to get low. Done.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
My "closed" chamber is not perfectly closed...hence, the humidifier. Things seem to be working fine right now, so I'm not changing it. But, then again, all that really matters is what works for you and what you can reasonably handle so long as your tort has the best chance for good health. It's like with math. There are lots of ways to get to the same number, but the end result is always the same.

Grapes

So I have my enclosure sealed up and I have a humidifier going the humidity stays between 80%-75% all day and night. The ambient temp never drops below 80 degrees. I'm gonna stick with it and see what kind of results I get. I'll keep you guys posted. Just got the little guy last Saturday.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
So I have my enclosure sealed up and I have a humidifier going the humidity stays between 80%-75% all day and night. The ambient temp never drops below 80 degrees. I'm gonna stick with it and see what kind of results I get. I'll keep you guys posted. Just got the little guy last Saturday.
Sounds good.