How often should my RT be pooping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtmomma

5 Year Member
I've had her since august 1st and she eats well... Mostly spring mix and dandelion and pumpkin yesterday and I soak her ever other to every third day after which she pees and has creamy white urates...but I've only seen 3 poops total since the 1 st... She spends 2-3 hours outside in the garden when it's warm so she may have been pooing out there but the last 2 days it's been cool and she so has been inside and hadn't pooed at all :(. Suggestions? Oh and her poop that I did see was blackish and formed...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
her poop that I did see was blackish and formed...

This is good, if you have seen three poos since the first then you are doing fine (so is your tort :p) I would continue the soaks and that along with wetting the food you offer, will get the urates to lessen as well.....

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Once you've had your tortoise for a while and it's been feeding on leafy greens regularly, you should start seeing firm stools about once a day. Tortoises (like most animals, including us) tend to poop and pee around meal time, because the body often gets rid of waste as new food and drink comes in.

And as Angela said, once your tortoise is more hydrated, there should be less urate in the urine as well. However, a tortoise that evolved in an arid or semi-arid environment will always have at least some urate in the urine, because it is a water-saving adaptation.

If your tortoise becomes alarmed, it may pee and/or poop as well, as a defensive instinct. Bathing a tortoise, like mealtime, also tends to stimulate elimination. In my opinion, weekly soaks are sufficient.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This depends on many factors. What he's been eating, how much, temps, activity level, hydration level, age, size, etc. Mine all like to poop when they get out in the sun, warmed up and running around. I would guess that your is doing this too. Some tortoise poop every day, while others only need to go once or twice a week. Just depends on all of the above.

rtmomma

5 Year Member
Thanks! I soaked her today a bit longer the usual and she pooped lol yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.