How old do you think Dale is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
These are pictures of Dale. I think I've finally figured out with my sons help how to post the pictures of him. Hopefully they come out. I tried to measure him like Terry told me to so we could try to come up with an age for him. I don't know if you'll be able to see the ruler or not, but his length is 6 inches and his width is 4 inches. Also I'm posting a picture of his plastron because I'm not quite sure what the white thing is on it. It actually looks like someone had a sticker on him. Any guesses? I've just taken a look at the pictures and I don't know as of yet how to get them to come out bigger. Sorry. Candy :)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Candy @ 6" Dale is looking to be a Daleene! She was probly an '05 hatchling. And that "white' spot does look like there was that typical sticker that designates which "farm" in Brazil she came from.

And all of that dark plastron 'marbling' shows she is a Brazilian.. AKA Cherryhead.

Terry K

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank you Terry for the information about Dale. I have to tell you a funny story about finding out that Dale is a boy. When I was picking him up from the place that I bought him from I started rubbing his head and after quite some time something popped out from the tail area. When I asked them if that was what I thought it was they laughed and said yep and that Dale must like me. Haven't seen it since then. Does this sound right? Unless girls have something similar. I guess it's possible that it could have been girl stuff because I don't know tortoises. How does he look to you? Does he look healthy. He did try some of the cat food tonight but not much. It's a start. I'll wait to hear back from you. Candy

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I have found that "Brazilian" locale redfoots are unique in many ways. A male tortoise will rival a 'horse' [ not to be crude ].. and Brazilian redfoots do show "mature" signs at a smaller size [ all young redfoots { anal scutes } look to be females ] - another reason they have been 'marketed' as DWARF'S.. although my baby-making female is approaching 12"! I've always thought that "dwarf's" were 1/2 size(?).. you know how that ( marketing ) goes sometimes.

Other than 'DRY' Dale looks great! Give him a chance and he'll come around. Stay on the 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 - catfood regime found in the redfoots.com diet and he'll do great. It works for me and others also.

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.