How old is a 32gram eastern hermann's tortoise?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I'm pretty sure it isn't possible to tell the gender of a tort until they are a few years old at least, if he is a boy he will show you and probably shock you too when he starts flashing his bits at you!!:eek:
The weight and size of torts of the same age can vary because of lots of factors so I don't think a growth/age chart exists or if it does I've not seen one here.
S/he sounds pretty young though, have you measured his length yet?
If you post pics of your tort maybe showing the plastron too members may be able to give you a rough idea. Did you get him from a breeder? If so they should be able to tell you the hatch date.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
we think it's a boy but we aren't sure. also, can u send me a link to an age/size chart? thanks!
They all grow at different rates. When kept to dry and outside a lot, they hardly grow at all. Conversely, if kept in optimal conditions and fed a lot of Mazuri, they could reach that size in a month easily.

Look for an egg tooth, and send a pic of the umbilical scar. That will give us a good idea.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
My Western Hermann was basking in the morning and then, there it was.. Gilbert is a boy! He is 3 ish. Thank goodness my 14 year old male leopard never showed me his "bits", he only shows the vets. It is astonishing icky and way more than I needed to see...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My Western Hermann was basking in the morning and then, there it was.. Gilbert is a boy! He is 3 ish. Thank goodness my 14 year old male leopard never showed me his "bits", he only shows the vets. It is astonishing icky and way more than I needed to see...
My leopard is certainly not shy about showing his but usually more in the Spring and Summer.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
As the others have mentioned, there’s so many factors that you can’t say for sure how old your tortoise is. As a reference point though, my Eastern Hermann’s tortoise weighed 32 grams right around 4 months old.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yes, you just can't un-see it.

ayrgrn

UK
Like others have said, I don't think you can determine age by their mass. My Eastern Hermanns is nearly 18 months old and is 55 grams.