How old is my horsefield tortoise?

Chin1234

Location (City and/or State)
Ryde
20190602_222541.png
20190602_224436.png
Hi all,

Will you guys able to tell how old my tortoise is?He weights 62g and the length of the bottom shell is 5.6cm

Thank you

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd say he's maybe a year of so. Also that he's either too dry or being fed too much to make him grow too fast.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome and happy birthday!

I agree your adorable tortoise has probably been kept too dry; you can see how his shell looks a little bumpy, even for a Russian.

Can you show us some pictures of your enclosure? It may be that he was kept too dry at the breeder’s and you’ve adjusted his care by now but we should check to be sure.

Chin1234

Ryde
Welcome and happy birthday!

I agree your adorable tortoise has probably been kept too dry; you can see how his shell looks a little bumpy, even for a Russian.

Can you show us some pictures of your enclosure? It may be that he was kept too dry at the breeder’s and you’ve adjusted his care by now but we should check to be sure.

Hii, thanks for replying. I got him last week ans he had aspen at the pet shop so Im using the same. Currently not got a picture will take one once back home He only started eating two days ago, he only had a small lettuce leaf with calcium dust for the past two days. I've been soaking him every other day, and also there is a shallow water bowl in his enclosure

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Aspen won’t hurt him right off but it’s fairly dry. Fine grade orchid bark, perhaps mixed with some coco coir, is best; you can buy both cheaply at a nursery

Don’t over do with the calcium dust, it throws off the taste and they don’t need too much at that age. The tiniest sprinkle, perhaps two or three times a week. Toss in a small bit of cuttle bone and he’ll eat it as he feels the need. Get the kind sold for birds, they’re the cheapest.

Do you know what he was eating at the pet shop? Even if it wasn’t ideal you can sometimes mix a bit of the new food with the old, until he gets used to the new food. Over time you reduce the amount of the old food. If you can’t, don’t worry about; he may be too nervous to eat until he settles down in his final enclosure.

Looking forward to pictures!

Reactions: Tom

Chin1234

Ryde
Aspen won’t hurt him right off but it’s fairly dry. Fine grade orchid bark, perhaps mixed with some coco coir, is best; you can buy both cheaply at a nursery

Don’t over do with the calcium dust, it throws off the taste and they don’t need too much at that age. The tiniest sprinkle, perhaps two or three times a week. Toss in a small bit of cuttle bone and he’ll eat it as he feels the need. Get the kind sold for birds, they’re the cheapest.

Do you know what he was eating at the pet shop? Even if it wasn’t ideal you can sometimes mix a bit of the new food with the old, until he gets used to the new food. Over time you reduce the amount of the old food. If you can’t, don’t worry about; he may be too nervous to eat until he settles down in his final enclosure.

Looking forward to pictures!

He had dry food at the store, I gave him some this morning with leafs and he ate abit more. I'll go get some coco coir and orchid bark this week. Thank you so much for the advice:)20190604_143605.jpg

Last edited:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
That’s good. You can moisten the food and chop it up a bit with the other foods; it will help him get the taste of it.

I’m not an expert on lighting (my tortoise lives outdoors) and someone smarter than I am will give you feedback on it. What I can do is ask if you bought that setup at the pet store, it looks like a pretty common one. I’m afraid they are much too small. Russians should have a minimum of eight by four feet (we can help you build a two story if you don’t have that much floor space). If it’s not too late to return it, you should think about it. (I’m sorry to say this, I know it’s hard to hear.)

I think you’ll also want a way to increase the humidity on top of the soaks, which you just can’t do in the covered/hiding side of the box. If you’ve not already read them, please take a look at our care sheets. This one is for babies:https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/ and this one is for adults: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/. Your tort is somewhere in between but babies and juveniles need more humidity. This is another area where you should get additional, smarter advice as I’ve only ever had an adult tortoise.

Also the bowl is not good for tortoises; they can’t bend their heads to drink so can’t really use it. A better choice is a cheap terracotta plant saucer a little bigger than the tortoise. If you can’t manage that, see if you can find a way to get the top level with the substrate (dig it down). It’s another item that you should return if you still can.

I know this may come as a shock when you’ve clearly tried to do all the right things for the setup. Pet stores don’t usually know much about tortoises and they are in the business of sales. Just about everyone here has bought the wrong things at the beginning. :oops:

Chin1234

Ryde
That’s good. You can moisten the food and chop it up a bit with the other foods; it will help him get the taste of it.

I’m not an expert on lighting (my tortoise lives outdoors) and someone smarter than I am will give you feedback on it. What I can do is ask if you bought that setup at the pet store, it looks like a pretty common one. I’m afraid they are much too small. Russians should have a minimum of eight by four feet (we can help you build a two story if you don’t have that much floor space). If it’s not too late to return it, you should think about it. (I’m sorry to say this, I know it’s hard to hear.)

I think you’ll also want a way to increase the humidity on top of the soaks, which you just can’t do in the covered/hiding side of the box. If you’ve not already read them, please take a look at our care sheets. This one is for babies:https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/ and this one is for adults: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/. Your tort is somewhere in between but babies and juveniles need more humidity. This is another area where you should get additional, smarter advice as I’ve only ever had an adult tortoise.

Also the bowl is not good for tortoises; they can’t bend their heads to drink so can’t really use it. A better choice is a cheap terracotta plant saucer a little bigger than the tortoise. If you can’t manage that, see if you can find a way to get the top level with the substrate (dig it down). It’s another item that you should return if you still can.

I know this may come as a shock when you’ve clearly tried to do all the right things for the setup. Pet stores don’t usually know much about tortoises and they are in the business of sales. Just about everyone here has bought the wrong things at the beginning. :oops:

Thank you so much for the advice, I appreciated I didn't realise there so many little things to consider. I'll try my best to change as much as I can now for him:<3: