How old is my Leopard Tortoise?

Geri K

Location (City and/or State)
Harare, Zimbabwe
Hello friends! We moved into a house with a large yard and a resident Leopard Tortoise. The turtle has been here at least 7 years, and half her shell has suffered some sort of crushing damage (healed long ago). Any guesses as to the age of my turtle? She is healthy and happy and roams a 2-acre fenced yard. IMG_7416.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! You really lucked out. What sort of arrangements have been made for the cold winter weather?

I'd say she's 15 or 20 years old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no way to know unless you know the hatch date. I'd guess somewhere around 15-20 years old.

The top of the carapace is slow-burning under heat lamps, or did sometime in the cement past. This is why heat lamps aren't suitable for larger tortoises. Here are a couple examples of heated shelters that will work better. I don't know if you can keep temps up in these in your area during the frozen winter months, but these will work for the rest of the year:

Geri K

Harare, Zimbabwe
Wow! You really lucked out. What sort of arrangements have been made for the cold winter weather?

I'd say she's 15 or 20 years old.
Thanks Yvonne! Actually I am temporarily living in Harare, Zimbabwe, where we have moved. So it doesn't snow or freeze here at all. She lives outside all the time. I don't feed her or water her. She lives off the extensive vegetation (including succulents) in the garden.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Your location of Dulles, Virginia is what through us off. You must be a DOD/DOS officer assigned there...and Dulles is your DPO address.

Lucky you - nice tortoise! Take good care of it.

Geri K

Harare, Zimbabwe
There is no way to know unless you know the hatch date. I'd guess somewhere around 15-20 years old.

The top of the carapace is slow-burning under heat lamps, or did sometime in the cement past. This is why heat lamps aren't suitable for larger tortoises. Here are a couple examples of heated shelters that will work better. I don't know if you can keep temps up in these in your area during the frozen winter months, but these will work for the rest of the year:

Thanks Tom. Actually I recently moved from Virginia to southern Africa (Zimbabwe) and this tortoise came with the house. She has never been under a heat lamp and lives outside year-round. The damage that you see on her carapace is the result of an old shell-crushing injury on her other side. I'll post a picture of her fully healed shell soon. It's interesting for me to read all the detailed tortoise care discussions on this site. This leopard lives a completely wild existence inside a 2-acre walled compound. She walks at least 1/4 mile per day, traversing the garden and driveway. She has become very friendly and will come when called and eat out of your hand.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
wow what an awesome “comes with”! What you said is proof positive why torts need lots of room to roam! Welcome and looking forward to more photos