How old is my Russian tortoise? Captive or wild?

Beau48

Location (City and/or State)
MN
Hi!

Very new Russian tortoise ownwer. Trying to figure out how old mine is and if she was wild caught?

Thanks!

Attachments

• B0603147-8A3A-4755-B69C-5D5BA45C9A1F.jpeg
    B0603147-8A3A-4755-B69C-5D5BA45C9A1F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 86

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. There isn't a way to tell the age.
I can't get the pic too enlarge so I can't see the shell good enough to see if it's in a wc or cb condition.
Where did it come from?
It is an adult so will need a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
Where did you get her, and how long ago? She’s definitely an adult.
If it was from a chain pet store, it’s definitely wild caught and 5-16+ years old.

Your enclosure has a few problems.
- your tortoise needs a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet. There is no tank big enough for a tortoise.

- those ramp bowls are a very large drowning hazard. I would recommend a terra cotta saucer instead.

Please give these a read and come back with questions :)
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Beau48

MN
I don’t think she’ll drown in a half inch of water but I’ll keep that in mind!

Yes, got her from a Petsmart!

Thanks for all the advice, I’m thinking she’s older as well. Only have had her less than a week but she seems to be adapting pretty well.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Thanks for all the advice, I’m thinking she’s older as well. Only have had her less than a week but she seems to be adapting pretty well.

Even if they don’t drown, it’s the flipping that’s the hazard. They usually end up flipping themselves with those water bowls, some how ;)

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Welcome to this site. This is a great place to get very good information for your tortoise.

Beau48

MN
Ah I see what you’re saying. I thought the huge bowl was a little excessive to begin with!

Thanks for the tips, I’m excited to see how this goes. She’s awesome already!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
By the way, an 8x4 tortoise table is so much easier to build than it looks! If you need any help building one, don’t hesitate to ask :)

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

Pet Smart = wild caught. Sales associates are told to tell customers that they're farm raised. They're not. They're wild caught.

Many of these tortoises arrive at the pet store with a bevy of health issues. I always suggest new owners of pet store tortoises to take them to a reputable exotics vet for a checkup as a precaution. Some people say don't bother if they're eating regularly but I would rather be safe than sorry.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hello and welcome! I'm a fairly new tortoise owner of a Russian too. Our torts look very similar! I've been told that mine is wild caught. I guess you can tell by the rough shell. Lots of grooves and scuffs. I wish I knew more about my Diego's age and previous life but I guess it'll remain his secret :)
Have fun getting to know her!