How old is my Tortoise?

Frankie2021

Location (City and/or State)
Gibraltar ??
Hello
I was wondering if anyone could help me? I bought my Greek Spur-thighed tortoise a couple of weeks ago and the breeder told me that he was born in September which would make him 7 months old. Do you think he’s about that age or younger?

Attachments

• 1DD510A1-7E19-44B0-B87C-5F804C20A96D.jpeg
    1DD510A1-7E19-44B0-B87C-5F804C20A96D.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 15

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
It's possible that it's 7 months old. They grow at different rates depending on a variety of factors. If they are raised without ideal temps, at low humidity, poor food, stress from another tortoise, etc then growth can be slower. All you can do now is give it the best conditions possible and it will continue to grow. My T.g. terrestris was in the 70-80 g range by 7 months, and reached 100 g by about 9 months, which I think is typical with ideal conditions.

Here's the care sheet:

Frankie2021

Gibraltar ??
It's possible that it's 7 months old. They grow at different rates depending on a variety of factors. If they are raised without ideal temps, at low humidity, poor food, stress from another tortoise, etc then growth can be slower. All you can do now is give it the best conditions possible and it will continue to grow. My T.g. terrestris was in the 70-80 g range by 7 months, and reached 100 g by about 9 months, which I think is typical with ideal conditions.

Here's the care sheet:

thank you ?? when I bought him she told me she fed him spinach and tomatoes etc... I was shocked but he’s on a great diet now and loves his UVB MVB bulb area ? he’s one happy chap ?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Glad he's doing better now.

We typically do not recommend MVB bulbs since they excessively dry out the shell and contribute to pyramiding. Regular incandescent flood bulbs are best for basking, while tube style T5 high output fluorescent bulbs are best for UVB. LED lights are good for bringing up the overall ambient brightness of the enclosure.

Frankie2021

Gibraltar ??
What brand of uvb and led lights do you recommend? Right now I have him in a large tub and it’s open top, the room I have him in is very bright during the day too

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
What brand of uvb and led lights do you recommend? Right now I have him in a large tub and it’s open top, the room I have him in is very bright during the day too

Here is a link for the light - https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-prot5-kit-dragon-14/ -
what kind of outside space do you have?

Not sure what your situation with ordering goods is now in GIbraltar, this is a UK link. You can find the same kit from any number of EU suppliers as well I am sure.

Frankie2021

Gibraltar ??
Here is a link for the light - https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-prot5-kit-dragon-14/ -
what kind of outside space do you have?

Not sure what your situation with ordering goods is now in GIbraltar, this is a UK link. You can find the same kit from any number of EU suppliers as well I am sure.
Thanks ?
We don’t have space outside, Gibraltar is pretty much flats next to the sea ? but my tortoise has enough space to go round ?, i have the uvb bulb on a stand that’s adjustable, when I turn it lights up more than half the enclosure but only heats on spot, I’ve also got a thermostat and digital thermometer just under the basking spot, do you think it’s alright? He seems pretty happy and his enclosure is always humid (its 75% humid) in his enclosure, I guess it’s because I live next to the sea