How old is this baby?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I may be helping in a recue situation, can anyone give a rough idea of how old this baby might be? I know aging is hard, but I am hoping this young it might be easier to tell. Also I am presuming Sulcata, please let me know if not...

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 1

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thanks! I was under the impression much younger than that (as in months, not years) but will be good to get expert opinion...

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thanks! I was under the impression much younger than that (as in months, not years) but will be good to get expert opinion...
Yeah 2 is probably too high an estimate tbh, I guess that was what I’m thinking absolute tops, but you’re right anything from 6months to a year is probably more accurate😊

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is a hatchling sulcata. I can't quite see it in your picture, but look for the egg tooth on the tip of the snout. If present, its less than 6 weeks old.

I see no new growth yet, so it hatched very recently, or its been housed poorly and just hasn't grown.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah 2 is probably too high an estimate tbh, I guess that was what I’m thinking absolute tops, but you’re right anything from 6months to a year is probably more accurate😊
To assess this, look at the area between the scutes. The longer they are alive the more growth lines and new growing material you will see. This tortoises has zero new growth yet. There is no way it could be 6-12 months. Its a new hatchling, and the is also the time of year when they would ground hatch here in Southern CA.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
This is a hatchling sulcata. I can't quite see it in your picture, but look for the egg tooth on the tip of the snout. If present, its less than 6 weeks old.

I see no new growth yet, so it hatched very recently, or its been housed poorly and just hasn't grown.
Yeah I figured I’d say up to a year in case they’ve been started badly, you’re right though definitely a baby! I didn’t look at the photo long enough when I said 2 haha it was a quick glance

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I may be helping in a recue situation, can anyone give a rough idea of how old this baby might be? I know aging is hard, but I am hoping this young it might be easier to tell. Also I am presuming Sulcata, please let me know if not...
Where are you rescuing him from out of interest?🥰

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
To assess this, look at the area between the scutes. The longer they are alive the more growth lines and new growing material you will see. This tortoises has zero new growth yet. There is no way it could be 6-12 months. Its a new hatchling, and the is also the time of year when they would ground hatch here in Southern CA.
To me mind, this baby looks a bit chunkier/bigger than the average hatchlings I’ve seen? That’s why I figured maybe 6months, But perhaps it’s just the photo

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
This is a supposed yearling which was my initial impression of the photo, but after looking properly I can totally see what Tom was saying about the growth, I estimated wayyy too high lol
IMG_3254.jpeg

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
@wellington - LOL bite your tongue! I need a Sulcata like I need a hole in my head (or drywall, or fence).

As @Yvonne G once said - once someone knows you do rescue, word spreads quickly! I've already reached out to @EppsDynasty. Game plan is IF this little one makes it to me, I'll keep it long enough to make sure its healthy enough to travel and then I'll get it up to him. I give it 50-50 odds of it even making it to me. I can do that with a big plastic bin, greenhouse and my existing lights/thermostats, etc with little effort and no cross contamination with Fezzik.

Being 1-4 months old fits the storyline. Friend of a friend of a friend situation, I've supplied care FAQs from this site (also famous photo of sulcata-thru-drywall to know what to expect), also links to GST two videos which have good info on why not to get a Sulcata and the care babies need. Friend-once-removed is fiercely trying to convince him to care for it properly or give it up. Likelihood of caring for it properly is slim, I figure it will die first, but hoping for the best.

Also, its funny, I don't know if I entered the wrong birthday when I signed up, but my birthday is actually tomorrow, LOL but thanks for all the well wishes!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
@wellington - LOL bite your tongue! I need a Sulcata like I need a hole in my head (or drywall, or fence).

As @Yvonne G once said - once someone knows you do rescue, word spreads quickly! I've already reached out to @EppsDynasty. Game plan is IF this little one makes it to me, I'll keep it long enough to make sure its healthy enough to travel and then I'll get it up to him. I give it 50-50 odds of it even making it to me. I can do that with a big plastic bin, greenhouse and my existing lights/thermostats, etc with little effort and no cross contamination with Fezzik.

Being 1-4 months old fits the storyline. Friend of a friend of a friend situation, I've supplied care FAQs from this site (also famous photo of sulcata-thru-drywall to know what to expect), also links to GST two videos which have good info on why not to get a Sulcata and the care babies need. Friend-once-removed is fiercely trying to convince him to care for it properly or give it up. Likelihood of caring for it properly is slim, I figure it will die first, but hoping for the best.

Also, its funny, I don't know if I entered the wrong birthday when I signed up, but my birthday is actually tomorrow, LOL but thanks for all the well wishes!
Sorry for the initial curveball😉I should’ve clicked on the actual picture before commenting😂 definitely under a year!

Be so cute if you get him❤️🤞