How old should my sulcata be when I move her outside

Lauren G

IMG_0195.JPG I have a 2.5 year old female sulcata. She has grown so much this last year and I'm starting to think the indoor house is getting too small for her and her Russian partner. I live in north Georgia, just north of Atlanta. Winters can get pretty cold but not arctic cold. It might get down to the teens but usually stays in the 30-40s. She's becoming restless in her current home. She paces a lot and she has outgrown her hidey hole. Should I wait till spring to move her outside? And since she has had a Russian companion her whole life, should I get her a friend who's going to be more her size? Or can they remain roommates for life. I worry she will hurt him when she gets even bigger. She's already almost twice his size. Thanks for any advice.

domagoj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Croatia
Housing two tortoises together is a really bad idea, especially keeping two different species in the same enclosure. This might lead to bullying and health problems. Also I think that you shouldn't use the red colored light since it's confusing for tortoises. Could you post a picture of the enclosure so we can get a better idea of your situation. Your tort might do ok outside if you provide her with a heated shelter but I don't know next to nothing about sulcatas.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
Your introduction gives us a lot to deal with.
Your tortoises should both be outside in a perfect world. But it would come down to the temperature outside and the types of predators, type of enclosure that you have planned, etc. More than the age or size of the tortoise.
It's true that two tortoises are a horrible idea. Tortoises don't make friends. They are solitary and see any other tortoise as a competitor. Species should not be mixed. Especially anything with a nasty tempered, highly intelligent Russian, or a soon to be 125 pound Sulcata.
The red light is something that most of us don't use because it makes everything look red in the enclosure and red is something that tortoises eat. (It doesn't matter if it's actually food.) However, I can think of at least one member that uses them without issues.
Your Sulcata is pyramided because it hasn't had it's humidity requirements met.
Are you providing UVB light?
Can you post photos of the lighting and the enclosure itself?
We can quickly get you on the right track with just a little more information and you and your tortoises will be much better off.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome.

My post might seem like an attack on you. It is not intended to be so. It is simply comment from what you have said and your photo, both of which indicate that the health of your tortoises is at risk. You appear to have been given outdated information on the care of these species.

Tortoises don't do well in pairs. Russians and Sulcatas are the two most territorial species. They don't get lonely and they don't need or want a friend. Another tortoise is simply competition for space and food.

When they fight, they fight nasty - blood is frequently drawn. They're also expert mental bullies - what you might see as cuddling up is actually jostling for space. Eating together? One will be trying to make sure the other doesn't eat.

They have different care and environmental requirements. The "germs" tolerated by one could make the other very sick.

The Sulcata will rapidly grow into a 100lb bulldozer and cannot hibernate. The Russian will come off worst being so much smaller.

These two must not be kept together otherwise one, probably the Russian, will become withdrawn, sick and could die.

On to going outside. It depends on the size (Straight Carapace Length) of the tortoise and the weather where you are. @Tom can give you the details.

Your Sulcata is pyramidded which suggests it is being raised in conditions that are far too dry for good health. Sulcatas actually need raised humidity, not an arid environment.

As said earlier, coloured bulbs aren't recommended as they colour tank decor red. Red is a favourite food colour and tortoises are not very bright and frequently start eating red coloured decor. In any case, both species need complete darkness at night. Use a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat for supplementary heat.

Please read the following which will cover lots of your questions and feel free to come back with any queries. Photographs of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

How to Raise a Healthy Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Pairs - A lesson learned the hard way
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Lauren.

I realize you didn't come here to be told you are doing everything wrong, but please realize that we only have the health and well being of your tortoises in mind. You've gotten great advice from the previous posters here. I would add that these two specie have very different diet and temperature requirement and those reasons alone dictate that they not be housed together. Aggression and potential disease issues just add to the reasons to not do it.

It looks like your toroise is eating some fruit in your avatar pic, that is also not recommended. Its not good for either of these two species.

To answer your original question: I move them outside full time when they are around 8-10 inches, but they must have a well insulated, heated night box. This is a tropical species and cold weather is not good for them. I don't know how you house them when day time highs are only in the 30's and 40's. Seems to me they would need a large room size enclosure indoors that is kept at warm tropical temperatures during winter and then they could live outside in the warmer months.