How Old When they lose egg tooth?

ShannonC

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
I was wondering if anyone can give me a ballpark age when Leos lose their egg tooth. I bought what I was told was an eight week old on Feb 7th. The baby only weighed in at 26 grams and still had its egg tooth. Today, the egg tooth is still visible. I also got what I KNOW to be an eight week old from a friend a few days later....no visible egg tooth and weighing in at 39 grams.....already starting to show some "leoparding" in her shell.

I'm just wondering if they lied about his age, or if he was started that badly and hasn't grown enough to lose it yet??? (I call them "he" and "she" because they don't have names yet.....lol)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They usually lose the egg tooth by 6 weeks.

I hope you are not housing them as a pair. That is usually not a good idea.

ShannonC

South Carolina
No, they are not housed together....lol.....I've read enough here to know better! Though I am hoping in the few years to come, to have a compatible group that I can house together. But I will always have an alternate plan for each and every one of them!! We have quite a large back yard, so I would be able to house at least four in their own 20x20 enclosures if need be (but I think I only want three).......And that would be in addition to a 10x20 for my Russian. I already have it laid out .....one large completely enclosed fenced area with 24" divider walls and one empty 10x20 section to grow flowers and other foods for them. It's the most prime real estate in our yard....lol

So, if six weeks is a good average, and I have had "him" for 2 1/2 weeks, and he still has the egg tooth..........hmmmm!! Eight weeks my hiney!! Hopefully, he just mis-spoke...... I would have gotten the baby either way, but correct information would be nice! At the very least, I know he wasn't in the wrong conditions too long!