How old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Curious how old my Radiated is? She's a tad bit over 4 inches. She has been fed well since young. Any ideas? I know many would say depending on how she has been looked after but just give me an average?

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Anywhere from 1-3 years old. Tortoises all grow at different rates. In the wild, tortoises don't grow as fast as tortoises in captivity. Yours being wild caught....it could be 1-4 years old.

I have a 1.5 year old radiata that is 4.5" long and weighs close to 200 grams.

samstar

5 Year Member
gummybearpoop said:
Anywhere from 1-3 years old. Tortoises all grow at different rates. In the wild, tortoises don't grow as fast as tortoises in captivity. Yours being wild caught....it could be 1-4 years old.

I have a 1.5 year old radiata that is 4.5" long and weighs close to 200 grams.

Thanks. When I mentioned WC, I meant it was a a couple of months old when they caught it and than it has been fed daily.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
On your signature you wrote your radiated is a female. How do you know this? Did you have an endoscopy done?

Most times, radiated tortoises can't be accurately sexed until aroun 10" sometimes 12". They are a difficult species to sex especially at an early age.

samstar

5 Year Member
gummybearpoop said:
On your signature you wrote your radiated is a female. How do you know this? Did you have an endoscopy done?

Most times, radiated tortoises can't be accurately sexed until aroun 10" sometimes 12". They are a difficult species to sex especially at an early age.

Fron the very pointed downwards scutes, very short stubby tail and flat plastron.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
samstar said:
gummybearpoop said:

Fron the very pointed downwards scutes, very short stubby tail and flat plastron.

Interesting, but I would have to say it is inaccurate due to the age of the animal....though it could be a lucky guess....you have 50% odds. You have a gorgeous animal regardless. Hope it thrives for you

samstar

5 Year Member
gummybearpoop said:
samstar said:
gummybearpoop said:

Interesting, but I would have to say it is inaccurate due to the age of the animal....though it could be a lucky guess....you have 50% odds. You have a gorgeous animal regardless. Hope it thrives for you
Well in that case I hope my guess is right, thanks anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.