how smart is my tortoise??

turtlebean

Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
hi all,

I have been wondering for quite some time now if my tortoise (or any tortoises) can sense the seasons changing? Do you guys think they instinctually know and can feel when the outside weather gets warmer or colder even though my house temperature is borderline the same all year? Do they know when it’s a really hot day outside or if it’s freezing if their own enclosure temps don’t change??

anyways, this is my first fall and winter with my little one and I wasn’t sure what to expect and what he knows☺️

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
from the posts ive seen, yep. most tortoises try to brumate during the winter so they might seem a bit slow-er or sluggish.
just keep the lights on for 14 hours a day ?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Re' the title...he's just a little smarter than you. He had you trained to do exactly what he wants before you even put him in his hide the first night. You fawn over him, cut up his fresh food, make sure he's warm, carry him to a warm bath each day, and baby talk to him. Actually, I'd say he's brilliant! ? ??

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
hi all,

I have been wondering for quite some time now if my tortoise (or any tortoises) can sense the seasons changing? Do you guys think they instinctually know and can feel when the outside weather gets warmer or colder even though my house temperature is borderline the same all year? Do they know when it’s a really hot day outside or if it’s freezing if their own enclosure temps don’t change??

anyways, this is my first fall and winter with my little one and I wasn’t sure what to expect and what he knows☺

Temps may not change much but day length does, unless you make an effort to keep the house bright for the extra hours. They are pretty in tune with temperature and day length I find. Even if you keep it warm, if it is dark all the time you wont see much of them, and even if their table is lit as normal, if the light in the room they are in changes, they will notice, natural sunlight, even overcast, is so much brighter than artificial light, even when not obvious to us.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They know. They always know. We don't know how they know, but they do. Length of daylight and quality of daylight is probably one factor. Temperature might be a factor too. But even in a darkened basement with consistent temps and lights on timers, they still know.

turtlebean

Connecticut
Re' the title...he's just a little smarter than you. He had you trained to do exactly what he wants before you even put him in his hide the first night. You fawn over him, cut up his fresh food, make sure he's warm, carry him to a warm bath each day, and baby talk to him. Actually, I'd say he's brilliant! ? ??
LOL what a guy he’s got it all figured out?

Glenda Loth

5 Year Member
My Sheldon is brilliant just like what you are saying. Lol.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Gotta have that baby talk ! ?
That's how my Sheldon knows I love him and he is special. Or else he would just be any other tortoise in a ditch outside or something. Pampered guy, sure why not !
He is my pet.
He's smart in his own tortoise way.
It's not like I sing the ABC song expecting him to know. LOL !
I think they are just more entune with their bodies being a reptile.

Violanna

Texas
Well I can say this for myself. I keep my house 73 all year long and on summer days I wear shorts and on winter days I wear sweatpants a hoodie and curl up in a blanket with hot drinks. I’m a stay at home mom, so i don’t get out much. If I can feel the difference I don’t see why any animal wouldn’t as well.

CMMutts605

CHARLESTON, SC
I have read that reptiles are particularly sensitive to barometric pressure, and that's how they "know" the seasons are changing even when they are kept 100% indoors. Every reptile I've had seems to slow down in the winter, despite being on the same heat lamp/UVB light cycle all year round

I am new to tortoises and eager to see how they react!

turtlebean

Connecticut
It’s just so cool to think about and to see how they’re affected even when they can’t see or feel the outdoor temperature. Definitely fascinating:eek: