How to approach a pet store owner about their reptiles' conditions...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I'm so glad you talked to him, and it worked!
Hubby has become a salt water fish guy. We found a wonderful store a few towns over and they are very knowledgeable, their tanks are clean, and their fish are healthy. (Not easy to find out here!)

There is a Russian in there that I can't even look at. I told hubby that I've got to say something to the owners about the tort. Sand, one bulb right over the center, he's baking! I don't want him (well I do, but...), I'm not paying 100.00 for that one, when they'll just get another one and put it in that "oven".

This thread gives me a good idea of how to go about it. Thanks!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sarah, that's terrible. I hope you're able to turn that pet store's tortoise care around for the better! I'm glad this thread was helpful to you. Definitely let us know how it goes when you approach the store owner. Good luck!!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Floof, an idea on the pellets - the reason that pellets are bad is not only because of humidity. They are very hard for the babies to walk on, and can cause permanent damage to the joints and muscles, and they can end up not being able to walk right, and they get "splay legged" and are deformed as a result. I would tell the owner this, as people are not going to be willing to buy deformed babies. Maybe that will change his mind about using the pellets.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I didn't know that, Kristina. Thanks! I'll be sure to tell the owner next time I go in. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
kyryah said:
Floof, an idea on the pellets - the reason that pellets are bad is not only because of humidity. They are very hard for the babies to walk on, and can cause permanent damage to the joints and muscles, and they can end up not being able to walk right, and they get "splay legged" and are deformed as a result. I would tell the owner this, as people are not going to be willing to buy deformed babies. Maybe that will change his mind about using the pellets.

Do you know that every breeder I've talked to in the last few months tells me that they keep their brand new hatchlings on pellets BECAUSE its hard for them to walk on. It supposedly builds up their muscles and coordination. No joke. None of them have even wanted to talk about humidity. "These are desert animals don't you know?"

Mine seem to be building up their muscles just fine on a variety of non-pelleted substrates.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
kyryah said:

Do you know that every breeder I've talked to in the last few months tells me that they keep their brand new hatchlings on pellets BECAUSE its hard for them to walk on. It supposedly builds up their muscles and coordination. No joke. None of them have even wanted to talk about humidity. "These are desert animals don't you know?"

Mine seem to be building up their muscles just fine on a variety of non-pelleted substrates.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Realized today that I never did post an update...

I got hired on at the store in question last month; apparently I moved to the area just in time for them to have job openings for the first time in... Well, awhile, lol! Anyway, long before I got hired on, they'd already sold out of the Sulcata & Leopard hatchlings, but on my first day on the job, one of the Sullies was returned to the store. The store owner let me set him up nice 'n humid!! Lots of damp moss on the warm end, and nice, moist coconut fiber substrate. The store owner is still a little skeptical of such new practices as the humid set-up, so we did end up compromising a little, but not much--just leaving the cool end relatively dry. Still.. MUCH improved.

It may have helped that the Sulcata was housed with a Yellowfoot and two Redfoots with the previous owner (all of which were also surrendered to the store), so, if he had been at all remotely housing the yellow and red foots right, then that would mean the Sulcata had been in a humid environment (or at least not a "jerky maker" environment). Right along with that, the Sulcata grew quite a bit with the previous owner, going from a hatchling with no growth lines to a good 2-3", give or take, over the course of around 3-4 months. Insanely fast growth, as far as the store owner's experience was concerned--but he had been under the impression that Sulcatas needed to be kept DRY, DRY, DRY, so he hadn't exactly ever seen the growth rate of a Sulcata kept "right." ;)

There are still issues in the store that bother me, but it's not anything I can change other than telling customers what not to do. The adult Sulcatas that roam the store are a great example of that. Their housing "situation" isn't going to change any time soon, no matter what I do or say, but I can still inform every customer that comes into the store and shows interest in the bigger torts that it's not a good practice.

Anyway, just an update. Thanks, once again, to everyone that responded to this thread originally!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Floof said:
Realized today that I never did post an update...

I got hired on at the store in question last month; apparently I moved to the area just in time for them to have job openings for the first time in... Well, awhile, lol! Anyway, long before I got hired on, they'd already sold out of the Sulcata & Leopard hatchlings, but on my first day on the job, one of the Sullies was returned to the store. The store owner let me set him up nice 'n humid!! Lots of damp moss on the warm end, and nice, moist coconut fiber substrate. The store owner is still a little skeptical of such new practices as the humid set-up, so we did end up compromising a little, but not much--just leaving the cool end relatively dry. Still.. MUCH improved.

It may have helped that the Sulcata was housed with a Yellowfoot and two Redfoots with the previous owner (all of which were also surrendered to the store), so, if he had been at all remotely housing the yellow and red foots right, then that would mean the Sulcata had been in a humid environment (or at least not a "jerky maker" environment). Right along with that, the Sulcata grew quite a bit with the previous owner, going from a hatchling with no growth lines to a good 2-3", give or take, over the course of around 3-4 months. Insanely fast growth, as far as the store owner's experience was concerned--but he had been under the impression that Sulcatas needed to be kept DRY, DRY, DRY, so he hadn't exactly ever seen the growth rate of a Sulcata kept "right." ;)

There are still issues in the store that bother me, but it's not anything I can change other than telling customers what not to do. The adult Sulcatas that roam the store are a great example of that. Their housing "situation" isn't going to change any time soon, no matter what I do or say, but I can still inform every customer that comes into the store and shows interest in the bigger torts that it's not a good practice.

Anyway, just an update. Thanks, once again, to everyone that responded to this thread originally!
Great!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I have tried reasoning with petshops, One shop in a comercial center called Dos Mares had a sulcata about 5 yers old,
No substrate, no UV, no heating, in the middle of winter, and eating lettuce and tomatoes.

I tried the polite way, Then when i went again things were the same, I threatened to report them,
They did close down eventually..

I am proud to say that is not the case at our petshop where i work,

All reptiles are kept in their near to natural habitats, and are fed the proper diet for that species.
When someone wants to buy one " i ask them if they have had reptiles before and if so, have they had this particular species.
If not i explain all about the species,its needs, size that it will grow to and how long it will live.
I also give them a name of a reputable forum,(mostly spanish) where they can get advice. But most of them just come to ask me if they have a problem.

Unknown to my boss i have lost alot of customers, :rolleyes:
As when someone wants to buy a turtle for 24 euro, i tell them to prepare at least 150 euro to start of with, for the tank, filter,heating, lighting, feed and supplements".

For some reason they say not to bother and walk of. :D

But i prefer to loose a customer than a poor turtle die before it reaches a year old. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.