How to approach soaking tortoise when the temperature outside is cold?

Jenna524

Location (City and/or State)
Central Valley, CA
I can see that my 31/2 year old, 15 lb. Sulcata is adjusting to the recent trend for cooler days. He wakes up later, and goes to his warm night box earlier in the evenings. It’s still in the 80’s most of the time, but definitely colder than the 100’s we were seeing in the summer. I want to continue to soak him through the fall and winter months, but I don’t want to shock him with the cold water or cold outside temperature after a warm water bath. I know that the winter will bring some very cold days (40-50 degrees). How do you navigate creating a comfortable and healthy soak/bath (and a good basking opportunity after the bath) for your tortoise in colder months? Is it better to skip the soak during the fall/winter?

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
I would think as long as he has somewhere to go and bask and sit in the heat like in a night box then he would be fine, maybe on the coldest night don’t soak him. I’m sure others will help out a little more though

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would not soak if you can't do it in a warm place. Cold and wet will make a sick tortoise.
If you can still lift him, bring him into your heated house to give warm soak. Then dry him off before going outside of it's cold out or put him right into his heated box.