How to avoid "pyramiding" with water turtles.. and look at these!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
NOW.... anyone who has a clue how "scientific" I make keeping and breeding turtles & tortoises - won't be surprized when I explain { in detail } how to avoid pyramiding with water turtles!

But first let's take a look at two samples -

Above entering "feed/drink" tub.. a pretty 3.5+" SCL blonde northern diamondback terrapin.

Below.. all "sun-baked" so you can see the smooth consistent growth.. with space between the scutes that shows a "growth spirt" that occurs at different ages with water turtles - these are both about 14-16 months old. Even tho' a growth-spirt.. the smooth is still maintained!

And this great looking "black" northern.. 4+" SCL also entering "feed/drink" tub -

And just out of water to bask and soak up the rays!

How do I do this???

DON'T FEED THEM TOO MUCH!!!
I told you it was scientific.. didn't I?

Feed them a good pellet food with the first ingredient: fish or shrimp. Less stabilizers like wheat, etc. and NO molasses or other high sugar "scent- enhancer" .. stuff that attracts them by smell!

Mine eat everything I offer them.. if any is not eaten.. offer them less! A little in the morning and a little in the evening. NO MORE

Now don't allow yourself to fall for the "..... ( splashing around crying ).. FEED ME FEED ME!!!.....".

WHEN THEIR "GROWTH-SPIRT" STARTS CUT BACK EVEN MORE!

And BTW - if you would like these as your own go here - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/northern-terrapin-youngsters-early-2013-hatched.100061/

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Oh well, I'm not so sure about the diet too much or not.

Anyway, I got my nigrinoda at around 4 cm end of April. Now she is 12 cm SCL. I think she grows pretty smooth as below picture.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409470764.913054.jpg
I feed her twice a day, pellets as staple diet.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Looks good Yellow Turtle.

Of course it's diet = how what goes in is used - if it's not balanced it causes abnormal growth. In other words - if what goes in does not or can not be digested properly.. improper growth is the result.

BTW .. 12cm = around 4.75"

TerryTerrapin

Ireland
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417650858.101877.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417650887.885064.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417650997.660554.jpg

My map has definitely gone through a growth spurt on the last month. His appetite is increasing and he's crying out for food ..! Excusing the picture quality, does his shell look ok? I reckon it does, but I also think I'm over feeding as he's shedding excessively around his neck. I don't notice shedding anywhere else, at least not as prominent

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
View attachment 107786View attachment 107787View attachment 107788

My map has definitely gone through a growth spurt on the last month. His appetite is increasing and he's crying out for food ..! Excusing the picture quality, does his shell look ok? I reckon it does, but I also think I'm over feeding as he's shedding excessively around his neck. I don't notice shedding anywhere else, at least not as prominent
My red eared slider is also going though the same thing! He's still a baby though, at 1 & 1/2 inches and the too of the shell is starting to be like too.