How To Build A Temperature Controller for less than $20

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Ok, I would be able to put it on 1 side of my enclosure to monitor temps there. Then my basking would be on the other side. Would that work.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Ok, I would be able to put it on 1 side of my enclosure to monitor temps there. Then my basking would be on the other side. Would that work.
I put the probe on my cool side and set it for 81°. Then I adjust wattage or height of the basking bulb for basking temp.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Yes. The one probe uses the differential you set to turn on/off both heat and cooling outlets.

Polarity wouldn't matter for heat if just a CHE, panel, or bulb. But if a fan is incorporated in heat or cooling - could run a fan backwards. All my plugs have polarity prongs so haven't really tried it.
Can this unit be set for night temps and different day temps?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can this unit be set for night temps and different day temps?

No. You would need two to do that There are more than expensive thermostats that have night drop but you could use two of these for less money. You would need another CHE for the second thermostat and set up one set at your night temp min. Then set up the other for your day temp min - but have it on a timer set for your “ day” period.

I find in my enclosures, when the lights go on in daytime the temps in the enclosure rise about 8-10 degrees and the CHE never goes on. So I essentially have higher day temp and lower night temps.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Well, I ordered two of these. I plan on building an incubator with one, out of a non working small frig. I also ordered the heat tape for that. The other one will go into one of my enclosures. Maybe next month I will order two more!

BevSmith

Well, I ordered two of these. I plan on building an incubator with one, out of a non working small frig. I also ordered the heat tape for that. The other one will go into one of my enclosures. Maybe next month I will order two more!

How did it go?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I have no made the incubator yet, but, I am using one in a hovabator. I don’t like the temp swings it allows. Goes on at it kicks off at 88, and then will not kick back on till 87 then goes to 90 before it kicks off. I will have to get a better one for the incubator

BevSmith

I have no made the incubator yet, but, I am using one in a hovabator. I don’t like the temp swings it allows. Goes on at it kicks off at 88, and then will not kick back on till 87 then goes to 90 before it kicks off. I will have to get a better one for the incubator

Looks like I’m going to order one today but just for the little (almost 6 year-old) leopard I’ve just acquired. Definitely not anything as specific as what you’re looking for.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
I just read this whole thread and love it.

I'm going to try and google to see if I can find this thermostat and if it will ship to Canad, any chance you have a link to where you ordered it from?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I just read this whole thread and love it.

I'm going to try and google to see if I can find this thermostat and if it will ship to Canad, any chance you have a link to where you ordered it from?

I get them from Amazon.com. Just search for inkbird ITC-1000

taza

5 Year Member
Cambridge, Ontario.Canada
I just searched Amazon there is one that is 110v and a 12 v one for incubators etc. Is the 110volt one the one I want? Thanks Sandy