How to determine wattage, etc.

Wrts1289

Location (City and/or State)
Sterling Heights, michigan
Hello again! So this is both a general question and specific regarding UV lighting. My questing is this. Is there a way to figure out how the needed wattage, length of bulbs and quantity for terrariums? I figured this could help many others who visit the site.

Also my specific terraium is 8'x4'x3' and enclosed. For me I am wondering on the above mentioned issues of wattage, length and quantity of bulbs for my set up. After doing some research, it was mentioned for a leopard to be a D3+ Desert or D3 Forest. A Desert if the bulb will be hanging 15-24" versus 12-15".

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think that at least one running the depth of one side of the terrarium would be sufficient, but wondering others who may know a lot more in this area.
To be honest, I'm not sure I understand your question.
Are you asking what type of UVB HO T5 light you need? With them, different lengths are different wattage. But the same UVB output.

Wrts1289

Sterling Heights, michigan
I did not know they were the same uvb output. That’s good to know. Was wondering recommended length for terrariums. Based on that information I would think the recommended length would be something to match one half side of your terrarium so you get the light shade method. Sound about right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello again! So this is both a general question and specific regarding UV lighting. My questing is this. Is there a way to figure out how the needed wattage, length of bulbs and quantity for terrariums? I figured this could help many others who visit the site.

Also my specific terraium is 8'x4'x3' and enclosed. For me I am wondering on the above mentioned issues of wattage, length and quantity of bulbs for my set up. After doing some research, it was mentioned for a leopard to be a D3+ Desert or D3 Forest. A Desert if the bulb will be hanging 15-24" versus 12-15".
The answer here is that there is a wide margin of error and many strategies will work.

What you need to provide is an area near the heat lamp that has a UVI reading of around 2-6. That is a pretty wide range, so there are many ways to accomplish the goal. I recommend the Arcadia 12% Pro T5 kits. Any length will do. A single 22 inch one will get the job done, or two 46 inch ones across the entire enclosure will do it too.

You will need a Solarmeter 6.5 to check the UVI levels, and set the bulb height accordingly. Somewhere around 20 inches is usually about right, but every enclosure and every bulb is a little different. Set the UV on a timer for just a few hours mid day, and rely on ample LED lighting and the basking lamp for lighting the rest of the day.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The SOLAR METER 6.5 seems like a large purchase until you understand that it will over time pay for itself in letting you keep your UVB tubes working effectively for much longer.
As they become less effective, you can lower them. And there is no guessing. No wondering if they're still good.
And it's a quality tool that should last you a very long time

Reactions: Tom

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I did not know they were the same uvb output. That’s good to know. Was wondering recommended length for terrariums. Based on that information I would think the recommended length would be something to match one half side of your terrarium so you get the light shade method. Sound about right?
A combination of direct and indirect exposure seems petfectly natural. But at no time should the maximum uvb exposure be excessive

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Idk I just picked a random one off of Amazon 🤭
Are you expressing this because you regret this decision and wonder what is going on under your bulbs, or are you suggesting that others go about it the same way you did?