How to Dry Coco Coir Made from Brick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aristotle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles Area
After months of purchasing Coco Coir in a bag, I recently bought the (much cheaper) Coco Coir in brick form. Tonight I soaked it per the instructions. But now I have a bucket of VERY WET coco coir. I would appreciate it if someone can tell me the best way to "dry" coco coir.

Thanks a lot.

Best,
Kristina

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Just drain the excess water out if you have a tarp or a piece of plywood spread the Coco Coir out in a thin layeri n the sun it will dry :D

lobovasco

5 Year Member
central Florida
I lay the really wet eco brick out in the sun to dry in a kids wading pool. If you happen to have any coco coir from the bag mix with the wet to dry quicker. Now next time you know not to add too much water :)

Aristotle

5 Year Member
Los Angeles Area
Awesome solutions! Thanks so much. I like the "sun-dry" method, but today happens to be the one day of the year it rains in SoCal!! So I will spread the wet coco coir on plywood in the garage and pray for sun. Thanks for all the ideas.

@ Alan - I DID add way too much water. (That's what happens when you clean your tortoise house at midnight!!!) My climb up the tortoise care learning curve is a very slow one!!

Thanks,
Kristina

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Coconut coir always dries so fast for me by just the air... maybe my house is too dry but when I mist down my enclosures it's only hours before it's completely dry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can pick up a lot in handsfuls and squeeze out the water.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
SnakeyeZ said:
Coconut coir always dries so fast for me by just the air... maybe my house is too dry but when I mist down my enclosures it's only hours before it's completely dry.

I have the same issue with Coco coir, I have started to just pour water in there and then mist until the misting is not enough.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
dalano73 said:
SnakeyeZ said:

I have the same issue with Coco coir, I have started to just pour water in there and then mist until the misting is not enough.

I do the same weekly. I add about 2litres of water into my russian enclosure and mix it all in.

lobovasco

5 Year Member
central Florida
I did the same thing the first time lol. I added way too much water, and to make it worse it rained for 3 days, but one full day in the sun did it. Now i always add water little by little. If you maintain your coir too wet insects can start to grow in there so watchout.

Aristotle said:
Awesome solutions! Thanks so much. I like the "sun-dry" method, but today happens to be the one day of the year it rains in SoCal!! So I will spread the wet coco coir on plywood in the garage and pray for sun. Thanks for all the ideas.

@ Alan - I DID add way too much water. (That's what happens when you clean your tortoise house at midnight!!!) My climb up the tortoise care learning curve is a very slow one!!

Thanks,
Kristina

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I added too much water in my red foot's and I started to see some bugs. I think it also contributed to the shell rot problem that developed. You have to make sure it stays warm enough if you're adding water.

Aristotle

5 Year Member
Los Angeles Area
pdrobber said:
I added too much water in my red foot's and I started to see some bugs. I think it also contributed to the shell rot problem that developed. You have to make sure it stays warm enough if you're adding water.

I finally got it all dry! Thanks all. Given the comments above re: bugs, I have a question. Before I resorted to the brick on Monday night, I used a bag of "ready" coco coir in the table, and within an hour as I was setting up everything in the table I noticed at least one tiny little bug - it kind of looked like a flea, jumping around all over the place. This was DRY coco coir, as I hadn't sprayed it yet. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what is the solution? Do they spread from the tortoise house into my house? Is it okay for my tort? BTW - I don't have any other animals in my house (unless you count my two sons! ;) ) so I don't think the bugs are fleas (like cats and dogs get).

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.