How to Entice Tort to Eat Aloe or Cucumber?

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
So constipation has gotten much worse. Has taken twice as long for 1/2 the poop. Progressively smaller and now today dry and hard.
He refuses cucumber and aloe, even smeared with Mazuri. How fo I get him to eat these? His appetite is diminished now anyway.

I have prune juice. Is that worth a shot?
Thanks.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Wow! Won't eat cucumber? He really is being difficult, isn't he?

Do you have Mexican markets anywhere near you? You could try him with spineless opuntia cactus if you can get some. The Mexican stores label it nopales.

There is so much sugar in prunes/prune juice that I would be concerned about trying it. I think watermelon could be tried. There is sugar in that too, but not as much as prunes. Maybe someone else will think prunes are ok to try...I just think I'd try other stuff first.

I know we have members who have used mineral oil in a two-ended way :D . First, orally...DO NOT put mineral oil directly in his mouth. Apparently he might not feel it in his mouth and he might inhale it. What you do is take a piece of lettuce and put some mineral oil on it. Then roll it up like a cigar, and hand feed it to the tort.

You can also give mineral oil enemas. Use a syringe without a needle! Put a small amount into the cloaca.

I've never actually done any of this. I'm going to tag 2 members...wait until one of them responds and says I have all this correct. You can try the watermelon though.

@Yvonne G
@maggie3fan

Have I got all this correct? This is a severely constipated 8 month old Hermann's.

I am concerned about the poops he was having prior to this point. Small, narrow, misshapen, to me, sounds like the possibility of a bowel obstruction. Is it time for an x-ray on this tort?

Quixx66

Louisiana

Do you have Mexican markets anywhere near you? You could try him with spineless opuntia cactus if you can get some. The Mexican stores label it nopales.

There is so much sugar in prunes/prune juice that I would be concerned about trying it. I think watermelon could be tried. There is sugar in that too, but not as much as prunes. Maybe someone else will think prunes are ok to try...I just think I'd try other stuff first.

I know we have members who have used mineral oil in a two-ended way :D . First, orally...DO NOT put mineral oil directly in his mouth. Apparently he might not feel it in his mouth and he might inhale it. What you do is take a piece of lettuce and put some mineral oil on it. Then roll it up like a cigar, and hand feed it to the tort.

You can also give mineral oil enemas. Use a syringe without a needle! Put a small amount into the cloaca.

I've never actually done any of this. I'm going to tag 2 members...wait until one of them responds and says I have all this correct. You can try the watermelon though.

@Yvonne G
@maggie3fan

Have I got all this correct? This is a severely constipated 8 month old Hermann's.

I am concerned about the poops he was having prior to this point. Small, narrow, misshapen, to me, sounds like the possibility of a bowel obstruction. Is it time for an x-ray on this tort?

@Yvonne G
@maggie3fan

I will try the suggestions. I’m not sure about a Mexican market nearby (small town) but I’ll check if my mom might have opuntia in the garden. Thanks so much.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also when you soak him use something with lots of room so he moves around a lot. The warm water and movement usually helps. Leave him soaking, keeping water warm the whole time for as much as an hour. Try keeping him moving/walking the whole time.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
If you put him in an escape proof bin with water up to the bridge on his shell, (that's where the top shell and bottom shell meet) then leave him alone. Don't let him see you watching. But leave him in the water until he acts panicked, that movement of panic and walking and trying to get out usually will promote pooping.
I recently had a small tortoise who (according to xrays) was totally impacted with poop. He was prescribed a laxative using a specific dosage by his Vet,. and I also used mineral oil and a syringe without the needle and injected mineral oil into his cloaca. It took a few days, but he ended up leaving the biggest poop in his 20 years of living. He then pooped hugely for a few days.
I hesitate to give dosage amounts as some things are better left to a Veterinarian. But a keeper using extreme care can inject mineral into his cloaca. Slowly and very carefully. Do not push the syringe hard, just very gently inject the oil into the opening of the cloaca. It worked for AB.
You can also feed iceberg lettuce sometimes that hydration works.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Also when you soak him use something with lots of room so he moves around a lot. The warm water and movement usually helps. Leave him soaking, keeping water warm the whole time for as much as an hour. Try keeping him moving/walking the whole time.
Thank you. I’ll find a container and try that.

Quixx66

Louisiana
I put Maruzi on the aloe again, and just now he was eating even the aloe voraciously until he saw me looking! And there were pellet of Mazuri right there just to entice him to eat something, so I’m happy he’s eating the aloe!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm late into this conversation.
The tort temp is at least 80°?
Without that, complete digestion isn't possible.
I agree about the cactus.
Most tortoises love that stuff

Quixx66

Louisiana
The warm side is generally 90-97. For the last few days, I can’t get up over 88 despite changing to a new bulb and putting the light further down into the bin than it should be, I know it’s not supposed to go inside but it won’t get warm enough otherwise. The cool side is getting down to 61 lately, and it’s damp. He won’t stay on the warm side. His new favorite place to sleep is as far as you can go on the cool side, 59F just now. I guess I’m going to have to block him from going
over there. He burrows and doesn’t come out. Thanks for the heads up.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The warm side is generally 90-97. For the last few days, I can’t get up over 88 despite changing to a new bulb and putting the light further down into the bin than it should be, I know it’s not supposed to go inside but it won’t get warm enough otherwise. The cool side is getting down to 61 lately, and it’s damp. He won’t stay on the warm side. His new favorite place to sleep is as far as you can go on the cool side, 59F just now. I guess I’m going to have to block him from going
over there. He burrows and doesn’t come out. Thanks for the heads up.
So it's likely that he won't eat and can't poop due to incomplete digestion.
Your cool side is too cool. And cool plus damp isn't good.
What are you using for heat?
A CHE or a bulb?
It sounds like you need another one.
Is it possible that he's not leaving the warmer area because of the warmth, but because of the light?
Please photograph what you are using.
Again, sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Last edited:

Relic

Here

@Yvonne G
@maggie3fan

This reminds me of an event MANY years ago, concerning a constipated boa constrictor I once had. It was around 4-5 feet in length and was way overdue for a bowel movement - you could palpate the bolus in the lower section of the snake but it wasn't going anywhere. I bought a container of stool softener at the drug store and eased one pill down his throat. Then I loaded a 50cc syringe with warm mineral oil and fitted a small section of aquarium tubing on the tip. This tubing I carefully inserted in the snake's vent, while my not-very-keen-to-help wife held the snake's head, and I slowly pushed the oil into the snake. After a little massaging of the lower portion of the snake to work the oil into the unmoving turd, I placed the fairly agitated snake back into his cage to await results. By the next morning there was oily brown goo ALL over the cage and the problem was solved. I hollered: "Clean up on aisle 5!" but nobody came to help scrub the cage...

Quixx66

Louisiana
If you put him in an escape proof bin with water up to the bridge on his shell, (that's where the top shell and bottom shell meet) then leave him alone. Don't let him see you watching. But leave him in the water until he acts panicked, that movement of panic and walking and trying to get out usually will promote pooping.
I recently had a small tortoise who (according to xrays) was totally impacted with poop. He was prescribed a laxative using a specific dosage by his Vet,. and I also used mineral oil and a syringe without the needle and injected mineral oil into his cloaca. It took a few days, but he ended up leaving the biggest poop in his 20 years of living. He then pooped hugely for a few days.
I hesitate to give dosage amounts as some things are better left to a Veterinarian. But a keeper using extreme care can inject mineral into his cloaca. Slowly and very carefully. Do not push the syringe hard, just very gently inject the oil into the opening of the cloaca. It worked for AB.
You can also feed iceberg lettuce sometimes that hydration works.
Thank you so much. I’ll go try the water and lettuce now. I gave the mineral oil on order gor pickup but I’ll have to find a syringe. Not sure I’m equipped for that. Was going try some on lettuce.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
This tubing I carefully inserted in the snake's vent, while my not-very-keen-to-help wife held the snake's head, and I slowly pushed the oil into the snake.

Oh dear...you are a very brave man! Had the oil had an immediate effect, let's just say that you would not be here to tell the tale!

Did you really give him 50 cc's? o_O

Relic

Here
Oh dear...you are a very brave man! Had the oil had an immediate effect, let's just say that you would not be here to tell the tale!

Did you really give him 50 cc's? o_O
Yep. 50cc. I was convinced if a little was good, a lot would be...more effective. (Plus, I was absolutely sure I would not be able to trick my wife into securing the snake's head for a 2nd attempt.) It was amazing how the resultant mixture had been smeared all over the snake and just about every square inch of the tank.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yep. 50cc. I was convinced if a little was good, a lot would be...more effective. (Plus, I was absolutely sure I would not be able to trick my wife into securing the snake's head for a 2nd attempt.) It was amazing how the resultant mixture had been smeared all over the snake and just about every square inch of the tank.
Not amazing, gross and icky.
I have always been of the belief, if (for example) your medication dosage calls for 2 pills, so if 2 is the dose, then 4 would be better, 6 would be fun... so f it and take 10. I used that stinkin thinkin for decades and became very familiar with how and er works and the routine at jails. Just sayin lol

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Quixx66 Anyhow, I am hoping this little tortoise gets better soon. My tort that was impacted had small misshapen turds as well.
Have you read this?

Quixx66

Louisiana
Hi, not late! I’m trying to keep the day temps 90-95. Lately, the temp won’t get over 88 for some strange reason, night lately 59 instead of 65. He seems to enjoy 91-92 best. I’ve even changed the bulb. I’ve been soaking Matteo for an hour and coaxing him to eat some aloe lately. He pooped almost normal volume yesterday except misshapen, and then just now he pooped almost like usual. Not quite the same volume, but close. Yay!

If anyone knows how to get the temp up to normal, please let me know. The fixture is even down in bin, though I know it’s not advised. I’ll be adding a new CHE for the night, but not sure how to get daytime temps back up.

Thanks.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Hi, not late! I’m trying to keep the day temps 90-95. Lately, the temp won’t get over 88 for some strange reason, night lately 59 instead of 65. He seems to enjoy 91-92 best. I’ve even changed the bulb. I’ve been soaking Matteo for an hour and coaxing him to eat some aloe lately. He pooped almost normal volume yesterday except misshapen, and then just now he pooped almost like usual. Not quite the same volume, but close. Yay!

I’ll still order the opuntia.

If anyone knows how to get the temp up to normal, please let me know. The fixture is even down in bin, though I know it’s not advised. I’ll be adding a new CHE for the night, but not sure how to get daytime temps back up.

Thanks.