How to feed baby sulcata grass? He want touch hay.

Katiehu

Location (City and/or State)
SOUTH CAROLINA
Idk what to do. He only eats pellets and I don’t like that. He’s 5 months old. I don’t have space to grow my grass and I don’t have a backyard with grass. I plan on moving in the near future and he’ll have his own backyard. But in the meantime, idk what to do. I’m scared to feed him random grass from my neighborhood. I bought him the sulcata food (flowers, weeds) from kapidolo farms yesterday.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Idk what to do. He only eats pellets and I don’t like that. He’s 5 months old. I don’t have space to grow my grass and I don’t have a backyard with grass. I plan on moving in the near future and he’ll have his own backyard. But in the meantime, idk what to do. I’m scared to feed him random grass from my neighborhood. I bought him the sulcata food (flowers, weeds) from kapidolo farms yesterday.
This is my opinion and it's not a popular one. I believe that tortoise 'pellets' are very addicting, to small, young torts. They taste the sweetness of original Mazuri. So they give up all other foods for that sweet taste. I think it's time for some tuff love.
Sulcata tortoises when young don't eat hay, or grass you need to read the list of foods they can eat, and you will feed him grocery store greens, the best greens, so read the care sheet write down the edible stuff, and change his diet around to one that will keep him alive. Keep asking questions.

Good morning, and welcome
100_5956.JPG

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Ah yes they are little stinkers. If you getting Mazuri preferably the old style one although I achieved it with the new one as well. I get it wet and I cut grass, weeds into small pieces and I mix it all together.
I also grow wheatgrass in trays or directly in the enclosure.
The food you got you can soak it as well to get it wet and kinda cut it/bland it.
If you have a way to get some dandelions, clovers (which are easy to grow in a small box) I would feed that instead of giving any other store bought food.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree hatchlings are not big on hay. Grass and weeds are a good food source and tuff love is needed in mixing cut up grasses and weeds and either mix with a small amount of soaked mazuri and/or mix with finely chopped favorite greens, spritz all with water to help it all stick together. As he eats more grass use less and less of the other stuff.
If you want to try and feed hay. Cut it in small pieces and soak it in water to soften it.