How to feed Bull Thistle to russian tortoises

EE torts

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hello everyone i have some wild Bull Thistle on (The Tortoise Table) they say it is safe to feed i just don't know how i should feed it to my hatchling russian tortoise Pebbles like how to take of the spikes on it. can some one help?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hmmm, unless you have an endless supply, i think i would just skip this as a food and move on. The leaves have nasty spines, edible yes, but look to be not worth the trouble of picking and trimming.

Seems too much effort?
  • Spear Thistle is fine to feed to tortoises, but the bigger spines might be a problem for smaller tortoises, so you can just snip them off with a pair of scissors. (TortTable)

EE torts

USA
Hmmm, unless you have an endless supply, i think i would just skip this as a food and move on. The leaves have nasty spines, edible yes, but look to be not worth the trouble of picking and trimming.

Seems too much effort?
  • Spear Thistle is fine to feed to tortoises, but the bigger spines might be a problem for smaller tortoises, so you can just snip them off with a pair of scissors. (TortTable)
okay thank you

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I think tortoises jaws are stronger than most of us realize but I’d also skip that food for a baby.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
You can definitely offer it; it’s a good addition to the diet. We can’t ever know what a tortoise will agree to eat though! At least not mine, anyway. :rolleyes: