How To Feed My RT Carrots & Squash

amyzabel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Goodyear, AZ
I have been reading that it's good to mix in some carrots and squash as well as the broad-leafs and weeds in an RT's diet. How do I prepare the carrots and squash-do they need to be peeled and diced small? How often should I add these to his meal?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20170821_135312.jpg
    20170821_135312.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16

Loritort

Carrots and squash shouldn't be given reguarly. It's fine as a treat and should be given in small pieces.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't feed carrots - too much sugar, but the squash I just cut in 4ths lengthwise and place it in the enclosure.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I feed my single Russian perhaps two or three carrot tops in a year. She doesn't get supplements and I think there may be some vitamins in there she wouldn't normally get in an all leaf diet. She'd probably be fine if she never got any, though. What she does get is the very top of a carrot, where I've trimmed it. So perhaps a quarter inch of orange stuff around the green stem. It's not easy for her to eat but she always manages.

Are we talking about summer squash or winter squash? Summer she gets a thin slice or perhaps a one inch chunk a month. Winter squash she probably gets a one inch square a couple of times in the fall.

I don't worry anymore about making it easy to eat; she always figures it out and it's good exercise for her.

Loritort

I'll have to try the carrot suggestion. I think to add new things to my buddies diet reguarly. Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't recommend carrots.

For squash, I use a cheese grater and then mix it all in the with day's greens. My tortoises get some pumpkin every fall. I grate it up for the smaller tortoises, and feed whole pumpkins or large chunks to the adults.

Last edited:

Kishen1964

India
I have a Indian star tortoise and I feed him carrot and cucumber she likes that diet

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I have a Indian star tortoise and I feed him carrot and cucumber she likes that diet

Simply because your tortoise likes those things does not mean it is a complete diet. Please do some research on your tortoises care requirements. We have plenty of star owners here that can help you.