How to figure out heat panel placement

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Hi all
We got a new house over the summer. My big guy is still in his Dogloo with Kane mat and low watt heat lamp right now. He is still choosing the Dogloo to the house. I am buying a heat panel http://www.reptilebasics.com/80-watt-radiant-heat-panel but wondering exactly where do I put it? On the side wall? And then also have the heat mat on the same side of his house? In the back corner Im assuming. Also - what do you think I can use for a door cover to keep heat in? I don't have to worry about keeping predators- this is an enclosed space. What do you call that type of material that restaurants use in doorways?

Thanks for any feedback. I appreciate the help.

Karen

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_b9f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_b9f.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
The heat panel goes on the ceiling. How tall is your ceiling? The heat mat goes on the floor. If you put the heat panel directly over the heat mat, that will be the warmest spot in the house, and your tort can move away from it if he is too hot. You can use something like plastic car wash strips for the door so he can come in and out. Then, once he is in, you can close a sturdier door to keep in the heat.

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
The heat panel goes on the ceiling. How tall is your ceiling? The heat mat goes on the floor. If you put the heat panel directly over the heat mat, that will be the warmest spot in the house, and your tort can move away from it if he is too hot. You can use something like plastic car wash strips for the door so he can come in and out. Then, once he is in, you can close a sturdier door to keep in the heat.

I think its 4ft ceiling. Will the heat panel work or is that too high? I feel like @Tom has his heat panels on the side but with a barrier so that they are not able to touch the torts. Im going to get out the temperature gun and try to configure. Right now I have his hanging low watt heat lamps in there which are a pain and not meant to be permanent. Thanks so much Big Charlie for the feedback :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of my RHPs are mounted on the ceiling over the heat mat. This combo of heating the tortoise from the top and bottom at the same time works well for me.

The RHP shouldn't be more than about 18-20" above the top of the tortoises shell, and 12" works better. In a taller house, you might need to lower the RHP.

The flaps I use are made of clear vinyl freezer door flap material.

Watch your temps in there over winter. In such a tall house, with no insulation, I'm not sure the temps will be warm enough. Only your thermometer will be able to answer that question.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's how mine are placed. They're on a thermostat and don't get hot enough to harm the tortoises. They sleep right up next to them.

night house b.jpg

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Thanks @Tom and @Yvonne G - I appreciate it. Im going to get to work so I can check the temps in the night! I look like a looney with my laser temperature gun at 3 am but its the only way I can really feel sure what the temps will be when its cold out! Thanks so much for your help. Having TWO heat panels is a great idea. So happy you both posted. Thank you!