How to flip proof an enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
Today, I walked over to the enclosure for my russian tortoise who's about 5 or 6 inches long. He was flipped over but more like on his side with his head stuck in his substrate. I immediately picked him up to check on him & his eyes opened, & his face was covered with his substrate so I put him in the bath tub & rinsed it off & soaked him so he wouldn't get anything in his eyes, nose, or mouth. I put some fresh food in his enclosure which his eating now. & when I picked him up from the bath tub, there was poop. & I've only see him poop once since he's been here for almost a month so I was very happy to see that. I've seen him pee, but never really poop.

But anyways,
1: Is he gonna be okay?????
2: How can I prevent this from happening again.???

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
He should be fine. How large is his enclosure?

The first suggestion would be agreed on by everyone. Build a BIGGER enclosure. The more room to move (especially in an outdoor pen) the least likely they are to try and climb the walls causing them to flip.

The second suggestion is debatable. Some recommend a plain as can be enclosure. Basking spot, water dish, hide and nothing else. Nothing to flip on = can't flip, I believe is the theory there.
I however, prefer to recommend a heavily decorated enclosure. Lots of rocks of all sizes and lots of foliage. I have seen a leopard hatchling flip and use the plants/rocks as footing to right itself. Also, this more interesting set up keeps them busy and I don't deal with them trying to scale the walls or want out.

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
He's in a large cement mixing tub now but I'm turning a bookshelf into an enclosure some time this week.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I agree with Team Gomberg, putting decorative things will help the tortoise right himself. And may even make him less likely to try scaling the enclosure walls and flipping.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
I'll get on that! Will he be okay though? I'm really worried. I'm constantly checking on his now.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
If he's eating and pooping and walking around, he's probably fine. There were two spots in my outdoor enclosure where my smallest tort flipped a couple times -- climbing off the roof of one of her hides and climbing a chipped corner wall. I added a piece of wood next to the hide, which she now uses as a step down and she doesn't flip there any more. In the corner, I put a plant which I hoped would discourage her by blocking her sight line. It hasn't discouraged her, but now she uses the branches of the plant to right herself when she flips. I wish she never flipped, but if she does, I want her to be able to help herself up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Seeing he wasn't all the way in his back, he may have chosen to stay like that. I have caught my Russian a couple times with just his head and front legs buried but the rest exposed. I think it's funny. He probably thinks I can't see him, silly guy:D.
I try to put stuff in my enclosures that they can walk over, like smaller rocks, smaller logs to help prevent flipping. My flipped once so far and he was trying to scale a tree to get out. I watched him, he fell on his back, and he just sat there and didn't even try to flip back over. So I blocked that spot and went with the smaller stuff he can climb over easily. Sounds like your guy will be fine.

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
Okay thank you guys.. He's not really as active now though.. :/

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
torilovestorts said:

He may just be a little stressed out. How long was he upside down? Was he indoors or out? One time my tort flipped herself outside when I wasn't home, and was upside down for who knows how long. After a soak and some food, she was a little flinchy and reclusive for a couple days. But she was fine. Lucky for us it wasn't a hot day, or it could have been very bad news. That's why we added the objects to help her right herself. Hasn't happened since.

Status
Not open for further replies.