How to get a baby Hermann to open his mouth?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you soak him in baby food strained carrots 50/50 with warm water, he absorbs enough of the nutrients to make him feel better and maybe take a bite of food. It usually takes about three days to have an effect on him. Soak for about 45 minutes. PUt the soaking dish back into the enclosure to keep it warm while he's in there.

Reactions: Ink

Smiggle & Button

Herne Bay, England
If you soak him in baby food strained carrots 50/50 with warm water, he absorbs enough of the nutrients to make him feel better and maybe take a bite of food. It usually takes about three days to have an effect on him. Soak for about 45 minutes. PUt the soaking dish back into the enclosure to keep it warm while he's in there.
Thank you for your help!

Smiggle & Button

Herne Bay, England
I don't know if you're aware, but all the calcium in the world doesn't work unless the tortoise also gets UVB either from the sun or from a GOOD UVB light. I really doubt he was born with this problem. If you don't have a good UVB light, that's what has caused the problem.
This is the light we have; Arcadia Pro T5 UVB Kit 7% ShadeDweller 8w

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Shane - I just wanted to say Welcome from Devon, and also that I really love Loki's enclosure.
Also, there is actually one more tortoise super-hero already -meet Super-Zola !!
Angie

SuperZola.jpg

Smiggle & Button

Herne Bay, England
Hello Shane - I just wanted to say Welcome from Devon, and also that I really love Loki's enclosure.
Also, there is actually one more tortoise super-hero already -meet Super-Zola !!
Angie

View attachment 338907
Greetings Zola! Nice to meet another super-hero. I'm taking time off from crime fighting as I'm a little poorly but I'm fighting it, so much I wee'd on my owner this morning! Hello and thank you to your sidekick Angie too!