How to get Russian Tortoise from under my house

A.Reed

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
Hi All! I’m new to the tortoise forum. I was hoping to get some clever ideas and advice from you guys.
I came home in the afternoon to find my Russian tortoise, Bean, missing two days ago. She has an outdoor enclosure and I believe she climbed her way out since there was a bit of dirt at the top of one of the lower bricks. I should have known better because I recently saw her standing on two legs to reach some plants! Didn’t think she’d make it over 18 inches!
We searched our property inch by inch with no luck. The only area I believe she could be is under our 1300 sq ft home where there is a hole. We sealed the front yard so she cannot escape and our backyard where the hole is is fenced in. If I put lettuce and greens under the house, twice they’ve vanished in the morning. I believe it is her eating them. I’ve been spending my days outside waiting and luring her with food to the outdoors with no luck. And, Hopefully it’s not just rats eating it! And so my question I guess is, how can I get her back safely? Does anyone have any ideas or humane trap ideas. Our house and porch are extremely low underneath so there are a lot of areas I can’t see with a flashlight. So many places to hide!
Still hopeful,
A.Reed

E18D41B5-CB62-47E3-BEC8-C2559F537740.jpeg

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
Your garden variety live trap (properly baited of course) should work for those times when you can't be there to watch the food.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also keep an eye out for her first thing when the sun comes out. She should want to sun herself to warm up.
Good luck. Keep us posted.