How to get the grass to grow back in certain areas?

taymag

Location (City and/or State)
FL
I have about 30% of my grass thats less than great in my sulcata section of the yard. I dont fertilize in it cause its not a huge section and dont want to risk it. Is there a safe section fertilizer I could use and pull them inside for a few days until it water into the ground?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have about 30% of my grass thats less than great in my sulcata section of the yard. I dont fertilize in it cause its not a huge section and dont want to risk it. Is there a safe section fertilizer I could use and pull them inside for a few days until it water into the ground?
Is it a watering thing? A nutrient thing? Or CHINCHBUGS?
I ask because in my Florida yard, when there's a dead spot, It's Chinchbugs.

taymag

FL
Is it a watering thing? A nutrient thing? Or CHINCHBUGS?
I ask because in my Florida yard, when there's a dead spot, It's Chinchbugs.

No this is a small spot, the enclosure is about 15'x15' (tortoise is still a little guy) and the dead grass spot is maybe 3x3 or 4x4. If it were any kind of bugs I think it would spread, I think its just a spot that is laid/rested on more than the rest. But grass spreads, so I would like to keep as much grass in there as I can when winter comes around and things slow down

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Section off that part and give it time to recover, or make another outdoor enclosure for your tortoise to live in while that one gets a break.

Having a sulcata in a small enclosure is incompatible with life for grasses and weeds. They turn whole yards into desert wastelands. Fertilizer is not the issue and will not solve the problem.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Like @Tom just said, if you can section off the area, give it a good raking, break up the soil, and get some seed in there, cover it lightly (straw) keep moist.

I’m going to try working some of this in today. Same reason...

9EC00E07-1603-47F3-9958-AD399EFEF373.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ask any horse or cattle keeper and they'll tell you pasture management is the way to go. You have to have two or three different fenced off sections. While the tortoise is in one section (for a week or two), you're watering the other sections. Then after a week, you move him over to a new section and water the other.

The only thing wrong with this is it works great for horses or cows, but once a sulcata knows there's something beyond his fence, he'll keep working at it until he breaks down the fence.

I had Dudley's pasture sectioned off into three sections. He eventually broke all the fences. So now I have one great big area for him. It's big enough that he doesn't make bald spots. I left one of the separating fences just as a visual barrier, and it makes him have to walk around it to get to the rest of his yard (more exercise).

Dudley and Little Brother 10-13-16.jpg Dudley's waterer 3-12-14.jpg Dudley's Yard 3-10-14.jpg